Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Moomba Lives in Eagle River, WI - We Live in Chicago

Default Suggestions for Adding Bow Speakers to my 2014 LSV

Gents,

I'm looking for your suggestions on adding bow speakers to my 2014 LSV. I've got the dealer-delivered audio set up from when I bought this new: Sony head unit and driver remote (no transom remote), 4 cabin speakers, 2 tower speakers, no sub and a single amp. I'm not a huge audiophile, but I DEFINITELY want to add music up front and would prefer to match the speakers to my exisitng set up. So my questions are:

1) Do I need a second amp if I add the bow speakers?
    2) Are the bow speakers pre-wired behind the upholstery, or do I need to run new wire?
    3) What's my best option for sourcing bow speakers and an amp (I prefer lightly used/take-off units)
    4) Is this a relatively easy DIY, or what should I expect to pay for a professional installation?

Thanks for any help on this, I plan to source the parts and get this done over the winter

What is the model of your current amp?

What model in boat speaker are you needing to match?

Are you interested in adding a sub to round out the sound?

It will also be relevant to know which tower speakers are installed.

It can be a diy, especially with the help of this forum.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

My Moomba Lives in Eagle River, WI - We Live in Chicago

We won't be back up to the Lake until Labor Day (so I can't confirm 100% until then), but I believe I have a single 300.2 Kicker amp, the Kicker 6130 cabin speakers, and Roswell cans. I'm less concerned about adding a sub as opposed to getting more sound to the front of the boat, but I'd certainly consider adding a sub if I could run it off the same amp (and not require a 3rd amp). Preferably, I'd be looking to pick up matching cabin speakers and an amp from anyone who may have upgraded their whole system, but I'm open to best suggestions in terms of sourcing these pieces.

The speaker wires are already there, and thers is already a hole cut in the plastic behind the vinyl to accept the speaker. There is an old thread on here by Ian Ashton showing the how to on an LSV.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

NWM,

4) it can be a DIY, but there are more details than what can be shared on a public forum, which takes me to ? # 3
    3) Your best source for parts, may be an authorized marine audio dealer that has experience doing marine installations. Not any online internet clearing house or other, but an actual installer. Not only can they help you pick out the best amp option, they can help you design the installation, help you with the wiring and RCA configuration, and provide tuning instructions. You can basically walk out the door with everything you need and most all questions answered.
    1) my gut says your 4 in-boats are wired to the head unit, leaving the tower speakers to the single 2 chnl amp. So if thats the case, yes, you will want a 4 chnl amp that will drive all 3 pair of in-boats.

To expand on Mikes post and only add your sub question...
    If you buy a 5 or 6 channel amp instead of a 4 like mike suggested, which is perfect for 6 Inboats, you will be able to add a subwoofer as well and only have two amplifiers.

if you're going to add an amp, take a look at something like the Exile Javelin or the PPI P900.5 as a couple options. they are 5 channel amps that are stable at 2 ohms so you could run your existing 4 boat speakers off a pair of channels (at 2 ohms), run the bow speakers off another pair (at 4 ohms), and still have a subwoofer channel. really there are a ton of options out there for class D 5 channel amps that would suit your needs. Pick your brand of choice (kicker, wetsounds, kenwood, sony, alpine, and on and on and on) and you'll find something.

If you didn't want the sub (you'd be silly to not have a sub, they had so much sound and dimension to your audio), then a 4 channel amp that's 2 ohm stable would be fine (like the PPI P900.4)

That would leave your one existing amp for the towers.

It would be ideal to take advantage of getting your in boat speakers OFF deck power as you add an amp to your system. deck power is weaksauce. it's just a way to "get by" and is not optimal for powering speakers. your inboats will come alive when you add an amp.

It's really not that hard... just adding power and ground wires, and the remote turn on lead that goes from the amp to the deck. There are even some pre-made enclosures that come coated with bedliner that you can get that won't kill your bank account if you don't want to build your own box. There's plenty of people on this forum that are knowledgeable enough that are happy to lend insight.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Not to hijack, but I have a somewhat related question.

I'll be adding bow speakers to my 4 channel amp, moving the 4 cabin speakers in parallel off of the rear channels. When hooking speakers up in parallel, are you guys just twisting the wires together, and connecting all wires directly to the amp? Or is there a better method?
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by csm View Post
    When hooking speakers up in parallel, are you guys just twisting the wires together, and connecting all wires directly to the amp?
    Yep. quick and easy.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Yep. quick and easy.
    Cool, thanks. Wanted to make sure I wasn't over-thinking it.
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold