Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Fuel gauge bounce

The fuel gauge on my 03 outback bounces quite a bit, to the point that it is almost useless. Just sitting on the trailer parked in a level spot with the ignition on it will bounce from 1/4 to 1/2 or even up to the 3/4 mark. I have checked all of the wires fo a good connection. What I am wondering now is if this is normal or something to have checked next time I am at the dealer.

Default Ditto

This past weekend we ran the boat pretty hard and the gauge actually pegged at "E". Filled it up and only took 19 gal, out of a 24 gal tank. So it would seem there's some play in the gauge. I would say that the highest bounce would be closest to correct.

Default Gauge read wrong

I wasn't all that worried about the incorrect readings, I've never had a boat that the fuel meter worked well on. But yeah, same thing here, rode the boat hard all weekend the thing was pegged on "E" went and filled it up and after 1/2 hour its reading about 1/4 tank but bouncing all the way up to 3/4 tank in calm water.

Default guages

BL: None of these fuel guages work WELL .... but these guages are particularly bad.particularly badly!

Default Moomba Rep,…Please respond!!! Fuel Guage is useless!

I have not been able to get my gauge to read full under any circumstance. I have come to a complete stop at the marina, unloaded everyone from the boat and it will read ‘E’, still jumping around, and then I can only get about 16 gal. in it until it is pouring out profusely (even while pumping extremely slowly) then the gauge reads only about ¾ tank. It bounces around like hell even when it is supposably full. My ’03 Outback has about 10 hours on it and this is my biggest bitch. But it is a big problem!!!
    Love the water!!!

Default Brian????

I traded messages with some folks last year concerning this same issue. My dealer has replaced the sending unit, and replaced the gauge twice (last time with a gauge from a Supra). I still have no idea how much fuel I have, even at idle on calm water. I traded in a 1976 Checkmate and it always gave me a true reading whether at idle or 45 mph. Brian....are you guys looking into this or is there something our dealers are missing? Like most other owners, I LOVE MY BOAT, but I don't want to turn a good day into a bad one by running out of gas while cruising along and the gauge shows 3/4 full.

Default Eyeball it

Same here with the 99 version ( not an LS ). A couple times I've slid the rear seat forward, removed a small center pad using a screwdriver, and visually checked the level in the tank ( you can see through the plastic ). Its always had more in it than the gauge indicates.

Default Fuel Guage

I'm hate to admit this but I've only owned my '01 Mobius for about a month and have already run out of gas once. I'll tell you what I'm doing now. I totally ignore the guage and just keep track of my time. With 5 jerry cans in the tank...I know I'll have 4 to 5 hours of running time. and the 2 1/2 gallon "easy on the ego" emergency can is always stowed away in the back locker.

Hey great participation fellow Moomba owners!! Great site.

Default Brian going to avoid this hot topic!!!

Moomba,...obviously this has been a problem for many years and is now a problem with my 03 Outback as well. What is being done to correct the problem?
    Love the water!!!

Brian Raymond Guest

Default Fuel gauge

Newbe, sorry for the delayed reply, I just got back from vacation(I actually get to go on one). I have surveyed the responses, I personally have not run into this issue because they are only run with approx. 8gals. of fuel. I will make sure this matter receives prompt attention, by notifying Matt Brown(Moomba Design Engineer). I will let all know of any info. that is passed on. Stay tuned.Brian Raymond