Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moomba vs Mastercraft

I've owned both a moomba and mastercraft direct drives and looking to get a vdrive.

Would love to hear some non-biased (if possible) feedback.

2006 Mastercraft X15 w/ 450hrs and upgraded 350hp for around $31,000

Or

2006 Moomba LSV w/ 130hrs and standard/stock everything for $26,500.

Assume both boats come with all standard items and the X15 with a little additional.

Let the conversation begin-thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Moomba vs Mastercraft

By the Moomba and use the money saved for ballast upgrades. You'll have a better boat.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

They both start with an "M" and both 2006 model years. Other than that I'm no help since I've no experience with either......LOL
    Between those 2 only and very limited info. I'd choose the Moomba due to lower hours and less coin.
    But really decision should be based on the dealer, shape of each boat cause hours alone don't tell the story, and demo ride doing what you plan to use it for the most (surf, wakeboard, ski, ect...). In that price range you should be able to find alot of choices.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Thanks for the feedback-

Boat will be primarily used to surf. One downfall of LSV is no amp/sub with stock 6 speakers. So it'll be a coin flip between upgraded ballast or audio

I have a 2006 Moomba so take this for what its worth.

With 900 lb rear ballast bag upgrades and the addition of the Ronix Eight.3 Surfshaper, my friends believe that my wakesurf is on par with today's competition. An engine with 130 hours is still brand new. Go with the Moomba and don't look back.
    2006 Moomba LSV
    Upgrades
    2014 - 900 lb fat sacs in each locker
    2014 - Kenwood Bluetooth stereo
    2015 - 3 amps with Memphis speakers, sub and 4 tower horns
    2015 - LED lighting
    2015 - GPS - perfect pass
    2016 - new Carpet
    2016 - upholstered seats
    2016 - seadek swim platform upgrade
    2016 - Samson rotating racks
    2016 - Ronix Eight.3 wakeSurf shaper

Your looking at two 21ish ft boats. Same year model. Main thing coming to play in my mind since I haven't been behind a x15 hull is going to be resale\trade in value. Which the master craft will hold its value better.

Just gonna come down to preference and how much coin you wanna spend.

I don't know how the freeboard compares between them but that is something to consider when sacked out for surfing. I'd like a little more on my 08, especially the nose.

2008 LSV. 1100 rear sacs and IBS. ACME prop is next
    Ronix One w/ Parks bindings

Resale is only if you plan to sell so keeping the boat for a long time has no effect as the value of both will be close to each other. I looked up my boat on NADA and matched the comparable Prostar 205 with the same options and my listed price was $25,190 where the Prostar was $32,368. The NADA average retail pricing now is $13,090 for the Moomba and the Prostar is $12,920. So in effect, the Mastercraft in this case depreciated more than the Moomba to the point the value of the Prostar is less than the Moomba. Resale is thrown out the window when the economy tanks and the market is flooded with boats. That is my favorite time to buy.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

In 10 years when you're ready to upgrade, is the mastercraft still going to be worth almost 5k more? Prob not. 20 year old boats are going to be valued mostly on condition and equipment. Comparably equipped, they'll likely be worth close to the same money, and the moomba maybe might take the lead with 300 less hours at that time. I'd personally buy the cheaper of the two but I'm cheap, and the gap closes if you need to add a sound system to the moomba to be equivalent to the mc.

Go with your gut, you may be in the mc for a few grand more but if you like it more that's fine. I guarantee you will love either.
    Boats previously owned - 2000 Supra Launch, 2003 Outback, 2006 Mobius LSV

if all I did was surf, I'd look at which one will produce the better surf wake.
    lsv is ok but is a low freeboard boat and if you're on a choppy body of water I bet you'll take on some water occasionally once loaded down(i know I did on occasion in the supra).
    I know zip about the x-15 but if it's low like the lsv, tough choice. if it's higher and would support more weight or offer a higher ride when loaded, then it might be the better contender.

both being used and aged, overall condition would mean a lot. 130hrs and baking in the texas sun for years could trash the interior and 450 always covered hours might be a nicer interior. gotta think about that. at that age and price, as long as there's a marine dealer around that can work on inboards, dealer support wouldn't make a bit of difference to me.

good luck and as wax stated, either would be a good pick.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten