Angry Head unit or amp? Where to start.

Head unit on, started to clip ,now nothing.. A couple days ago while out running down the lake, with stereo at about 2/3 max volume stereo started to cut out/ clip.. Shut it down thinking over load or loose wire etc.. Checked all visible connections including battery at back of head unit and amp.. All looks good.. Now turn or stereo and try to play anything any source and very shortly music clips then dies , now nothing..

Music source is usually iPod or radio.. Anything to look for?

Amp power does not blink or anything to show protection mode and head unit shows music is playing, any suggestions?

Head unit is clarion m309 Amp is alpine marine digitalx5. Not sure of amp model speakers are Polk 651. No tower speakers or 2nd amp
    07 Outback DD

Still have another week at the lake would love tunes again.
    07 Outback DD

I think the most expedient way to get to the bottom of it is to isolate and start at the beginning of the signal path, the HU.
    Mark everything in advance. Move the speakers off the amplifier onto the HU internal outputs. Not great power, but better than no operation at all. You can begin this test by disabling the amplifier and moving one speaker only. This is going to prove the HU to be operational or not. It is possible there is a difference between the HU speaker outputs and line outputs but the odds are really against it.
    Past that, you need a basic multimeter. You can measure for an AC output coming from the HU RCA line outs.
    Next, you have to measure voltage. Poor voltage is an indication of either a bad supply or bad ground. Begin with the battery terminals and move one connection point at a time. Terminations/connections may first appear tight and free of corrosion, but measurements under load can expose hidden problems.

I bought new '16 Craz and on third day as I was organizing things in the boat and listening to music, tower speakers started clipping then frying sound and then nothing. I hooked tower speakers to the other amp and they were perfect. Hooked them back to original amp and after cooling off was fine but within 2 minutes, same thing. Called dealer and they let me bring amp in and swapped for a new one and everything perfect now. Sounds similar to your problem so right off I would say bad amp.
    Last edited by hawgtitan; 08-03-2016 at 12:21 AM.

Talking

Sorry for the really late reply.. Totally forgot and i am not on here too often .. I checked stereo battery with a voltage meter just to check the voltage and noticed it was down to about 9.8.. That alone told me i mostly had a voltage issue..This time around i disconnected all my connections one by one and twisted and tugged on a few wires and sure enough found my problem.. Main Ground connection had jarred loose and crimp was holding casing of wire only not making a good connection at all.. I pulled battery, land charged it on a trickle charger, got a new connector and crimped and soldered it, this time, reinstalled and now Stereo running fine. Obviously not a great initial connection and banging and crashing did not help.. Head unit, amp speakers all sounding great, now a happy camper for the few remaining weeks of boating i hope to get then... Pull all the batteries out charge and store for the upcoming winter....

Again thanks for the help.
    07 Outback DD