Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Skiing behind tower

Has anyone ever pulled a skier from the tower. I am to scared to do it. I took a friend out the other night and they wanted to slalom behind the tower. They say they have done it behind other people's boat and it is really easy for them to get out of the water. I just worry about the strength of the tower.

On the same note, I am starting to teach my 5 year old to ski. Do you think it would be easier for him to get up using the tower?

Default Replying to Topic 'Skiing behind tower'

I've pulled people on a wakeboard for the first time that didn't know how to get up and they've really plowed water behind the boat with no problems to the tower. I don't know that I'd have a problem pulling a skier behind it. If I were to do it though, I would make it clear to them not to swing wide and cut really hard like you see the tournament skiers do. I think that the lateral force on the tower from a hard cut would worry me. As for a 5 year old that is learning I don't think you'll have any problems. Bottom line is that it's your boat. If you're not comfortable with it, just lay down the rules. They may not be happy with it, but they're not the ones that shelled out the money on the boat.

I would not recommend pulling ANY adult skier off the tower, if they want to tell them to get their own boat.

Pulling a kid is a different story, I think it would be fine off the tower.
    Bruce Fuerstenberg

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy shit!...what a ride!

Ive done it.. No big deal. there is less resistance from the skier. Or at most you would compare it to edging hard toward the wake on a wakeboard.
    2005 Moomba Outback

I was thinking the same thing. I've done it. Are there any manufactures' recommendations not to?

If you read your manual, it states "do not tow skiers, barefooters" and by doing so it can void your warranty.

I wonder if its the kind of thing where they didnt test the towers with skiers so there is no data as to if it is good or not, so to be on the safe side they just say dont do it... Either way if it can void your warranty then I wont be doing it again!!

Thanks qb!!
    2005 Moomba Outback

No big deal. there is less resistance from the skier.
    HOW ?

Wakeboard = 139cm x 30cm = 4170 cm^2
    Ski = 170cm x 10cm = 1700 cm^2

That is 2.5 times the surface area! It is not just the problems of the torque arm while cutting hard that can tilt the boat or put strain on one side, but both the pull against the boat getting from bouy to bouy which is MUCH harder than any wakeboarder can pull, and the real problem is getting the mass out of the water with MUCH less surface area. It is that strain I woud worry about most. MAYBE if they got up on two, then dropped, - but the reason they want to use it is to aid in getting up on one.

I have no tower, but would never let someone test my gel coat because they suck at deep water starts!

-Joe

I would be willing to guarantee I apply more force to the attachment point of the rope using my 68in ski at 220lb at 32 off / 34mph than any wakeboarder does.

My manual says don't do it - so I don't.

I don't see any benefit to it. I would think it would tend to stand you up to early.

If you are thinking that it might help keep rope from draging while teaching new skiers, you would be better off to start them at 15 off and use the pylon.

My 2 cts
    Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

I am looking for pics of a person I know who towed a skier from a tower. it was not a good thing. A few things it was a factory installed tower and the boat was several hours out of break in service. The skier was about 200 lbs. Oh and the boat Co. did not warranty it. I would never do it. I will post the pics if I can find them.
    Share The Water
    2006 Outback V