Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Tow rig down. Lost the power steering on the F150 Ecoboost. :-(

So last night at the top of the boat ramp, the truck lost it's power steering. Upon a little research, the F150 Ecoboost uses an electric motor that's inside the steering rack and if you look through the forums, it's prone to failure. We've got 27k miles on the truck.

Muscling around those 35" tires on 20" wheels gave me a workout. And backing the trailer through our gate to the side of our house was as hard as it's ever been. I didn't even get the boat all the way back under the carport. It barely made it behind the gate before I gave up on jockeying it anymore.

Luckily the original owner of the truck had bought a 6 year/75k extended warranty that I was able to get transferred over to us, so we should be okay there (as I've heard it's a $1,500+ fix). It's got an appointment to go into the dealer Friday.

Symptoms started with a couple of weird fault codes (Hill Descent and Advance Trac) as well as the turn signals wouldn't stay on.

Then we noticed that these faults would show up in conjunction with a screech when the steering hit full lock.

I know there's a handful of F150 Ecoboost owners on here, so aside from the fact this happened while towing the boat, I figured it'd be of interest to some of you.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    So last night at the top of the boat ramp, the truck lost it's power steering. Upon a little research, the F150 Ecoboost uses an electric motor that's inside the steering rack and if you look through the forums, it's prone to failure. We've got 27k miles on the truck.

Muscling around those 35" tires on 20" wheels gave me a workout. And backing the trailer through our gate to the side of our house was as hard as it's ever been. I didn't even get the boat all the way back under the carport. It barely made it behind the gate before I gave up on jockeying it anymore.

Luckily the original owner of the truck had bought a 6 year/75k extended warranty that I was able to get transferred over to us, so we should be okay there (as I've heard it's a $1,500+ fix). It's got an appointment to go into the dealer Friday.

Symptoms started with a couple of weird fault codes (Hill Descent and Advance Trac) as well as the turn signals wouldn't stay on.

Then we noticed that these faults would show up in conjunction with a screech when the steering hit full lock.

I know there's a handful of F150 Ecoboost owners on here, so aside from the fact this happened while towing the boat, I figured it'd be of interest to some of you.

I'll share alittle about my experience. I owned a 12 F150 Lariat. The above issues are well known about the Echo Boost. I have had the same fault codes myself. Earlier this spring mine was misfiring at higher rpm's basically when I spun up the turbos it would fall flat on its face. Took it in for service and the dealer said I needed plugs and coil boots. (This is also common on the echo boost) picked up my truck from the dealer and a week later it was doing the same thing. Took it back in. Ran multiple test and started replacing parts. High pressure fuel pump, boost sensors. No go. Kept throwing codes. Dealership had to bring in Ford engineers to look at it. It took 2 months to finally fixed the problem. Needless to say after one month in I went and bought a new truck. Never Ford Never again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shane
    2016 Supra SE
    EXILED
    6 XM9 Tower
    6 Wetsounds XS650 Cabin
    1 EXILE BIG 12 DVC 2000 watt in a ported box
    1 XM 15.4
    XI 1500.1
    2 MX 30.2
    Wetsounds 420 EQ
    EXILE Blue tooth EXBT4
    Blue LEDs

The most important thing you can do is drill a pee hole in your CAC if you own an ecoboost!
    -Jake

Quote Originally Posted by beat taco View Post
    The most important thing you can do is drill a pee hole in your CAC if you own an ecoboost!
    That's certainly not going to help my Electric Power Steering Assist motor that's died at 27k miles...

Maybe the most important thing is having an extended warranty?????
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

You can't do anything about that failure, a pee hole can save your motor. I won't own it without a warranty!
    -Jake

The best fix for a ford is obviously a GM.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by smorris7 View Post
    . . . I went and bought a new truck. Never Ford Never again!

^^^ Yep! Went to GM.

Gm?
    -Jake

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    The best fix for a ford is obviously a GM.
    Idk if I agree, I think Ram is the way to go, but after 4 Ford Trucks I was done.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Idk if I agree, I think Ram is the way to go, but after 4 Ford Trucks I was done.
    😊

2013 LSV Red/White

1100lb upgrades in each rear locker!
    Stock 500 Bow ballast
    650IBS
    Manual Flow equipped

Boards
    Hyperlite Hi-Fi "The Illest"
    CWB AMG Carbon
    Phase 5 Razz
    Byerly Volt