Default Sony HU powers off/on continously

Everything works well for 10 minutes and then the head unit starts cycling off and on continuously. I can shut it off for a period of time...30 minutes or so....turn it back on and the same thing happens. Replace head unit or do you think it's a loose connection? Seems like a loose connection would be more random. It is the stock Sony CDX M60UI.

Just thought I would check on the forum before I buy another head unit.
    2012 Moomba LSV

1st thing I would do is monitor the head unit ground and and B+ and then ground and IGN right at the head unit when the issue is happening. This will point to a wiring/supply issue or an internal or down stream issue.Does the head unit drive any speakers or just amps via the low level.

Thanks MLA. I know nothing about audio equipment. I have two amps. One should drive the cabin speakers as that is what came stock on the boat. I later had someone install another amp, 2 tower speakers, a sub and a simple control to adjust the sub and towers. All of this has been installed and working flawlessly for 2 years.
    2012 Moomba LSV

I hate to see anyone replace a component only to discover that they are still carrying forward an existing wiring issue. So its good to correctly diagnose the issue in any case.
    I know this would normally be obvious but I should ask anyway. When the HU 'cycles off' are the amplifiers remaining On or simultaneously shutting Off per their LED status indicators?
    Any remote controls connected to the HU?
    Start by disconnecting the remote turn-on leads and all RCA cables going to the amplifiers. Disconnect all other peripheral components such as remote controls, etc. I know you won't have audio, but see if the HU behavior changes with all other conditions remaining the same.
    Try cleaning up the HU molex plug and make certain all pins are correctly seated.

Quote Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
    I hate to see anyone replace a component only to discover that they are still carrying forward an existing wiring issue. So its good to correctly diagnose the issue in any case.
    I know this would normally be obvious but I should ask anyway. When the HU 'cycles off' are the amplifiers remaining On or simultaneously shutting Off per their LED status indicators?
    Any remote controls connected to the HU?
    Start by disconnecting the remote turn-on leads and all RCA cables going to the amplifiers. Disconnect all other peripheral components such as remote controls, etc. I know you won't have audio, but see if the HU behavior changes with all other conditions remaining the same.
    Try cleaning up the HU molex plug and make certain all pins are correctly seated.
    Thanks David. I will check those things.
    Amps cycle off/on as well.
    1 wired remote and 1 wireless remote (never used)
    2012 Moomba LSV

And....the tower and sub goes out first. Cabin speakers will play another few seconds and then HU starts cycling off/on. Strange but it happens in that order every time.
    2012 Moomba LSV

I had a similar problem on my 2012 LSV. I took the battery out that appeared to power the accessories and it was bad. Replaced it and it seems to work okay now. When I researched the problem one cause was not enough power getting to HU and thus cycling on and off. May want to test the battery...

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by NoleAlum View Post
    I had a similar problem on my 2012 LSV. I took the battery out that appeared to power the accessories and it was bad. Replaced it and it seems to work okay now. When I researched the problem one cause was not enough power getting to HU and thus cycling on and off. May want to test the battery...

Good luck.
    Thanks! I will check that also.
    2012 Moomba LSV

It was the battery. I did not think of that since the boat still cranked and ran good the day it started happening. Sat for a few days and battery was completely dead. New battery and stereo has been working fine all day. Thanks for the input.
    2012 Moomba LSV