Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer lights

Default Trailer lights

I may have posted something about this sometime ago, but can't find the thread to look for answers. The lights on my trailer have stopped working again. This happened a few years ago and it was determined to the a grounding issue. I called Jerry over at Boatmate and he walked me through running a pigtail ground wire through the frame between the swing. This worked for the last year, but as soon as i pulled it out this year, bang! NO LIGHTS! I would welcome any other suggestions
    Jr.
    '08 Outback V

Just to add, I now have turn signal and brake lights on the right side only. No running lights along the sides and no brake or turn signals on the left. I have checked the ground from the truck to the trailer and that's working. I use a 5 pin to 7 pin adapter and there is power going through that. I'm no electrical genius but I'm thinking it's somewhere in the harness. I think it's rather strange that only one set of lights is working and only with two functions.

I've sent an email to Boatmate, but have not gotten a response yet. I have no idea where else to turn to begin diagnosing any further. Anyone with any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Jr.
    '08 Outback V

I frequently have this issue of only the right brake light/turn signal working, and sometimes I'll even have those and the running lights working, but not the left turn signal and brake light. Anyway, with me when this happens, I have to unplug the lights and bend/push the metal tabs of the 7-5 pin adapter in towards the middle in order for them to make good contact when it plugs into the truck and then all the lights work. So to me the fact that a few things work doesn't sound weird... it may just mean that the nonworking lights have an issue somewhere in the circuit but it's probably not a ground issue... BUT I'm no electrician, just some thoughts and my experience.
    2010 LSV

To help diagnose, I got a plug that has the lights built into it (Walmart). There are adapters on amazon that you can get with the same functionality https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Light...ler+plug+light. That lets me know if it is a ground issue (do all lights on the plug blink when on 4 ways? shouldn't = prob bad ground). It helps eliminate the vehicle connection being an issue.

I also took an old plug harness and cut the wires, leaving the plug and some wire to use. You can then hook it into the plug end, and touch the wires to each on the trailer plug end to see what lights or doesn't based on the vehicle lights.

Hook up the trailer and tow it around the block doing some stop and starts. Does it then work? (~ ground).
    2017 Moomba Craz
    400 Indmar Rapter 6.2L
    "X-ceeding Limits"

2004 Supra 22 Launch SSV-crushed by a massive oak tree. RIP 4/1/2023
    325 Indmar Assault 320 HP
    "One more hour"

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I finally heard back from Boatmate today (after a week). The only insight they had was a plug on one side of the warness, but I can't find one. I think they were referring to the newer harness like the diagram on the parts site. I don't think mine is the same since I can't find the plug he was talking about. An even if that was the case, the plug is on the right side and that was the side that's been working all along.

Well I gave it another shot today. I climbed under there and wiggled some wires and got brakes and signals on the left. Still no running lights on ether side. I'm thinking I may just buy a new harness, which had dedicated grounds for each light, and rewire it. Is there anyone on here that has done that? Will it be as big of a pain in the a$$ as I'm thinking it will be?
    Jr.
    '08 Outback V

Default Trailer lights

Following, my left trailer light is out. Shouldn't be being only 1 month old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold

Quote Originally Posted by snyderaaron View Post
    Following, my left trailer light is out. Shouldn't be being only 1 month old

That's weird. I've had a left side brake light out since I bought it. Never caused a problem though. I've been reaching out to Boatmate for weeks now seeking guidance, but they've been less than helpful this time around. I've gone through Jerry in the past and he's always been very responsive. I responded with a question and it took over a week to get a response. Got a response and asked another question a few days ago, still waiting to hear back.
    Jr.
    '08 Outback V

Default Trailer lights

Quote Originally Posted by jyj1189 View Post
    That's weird. I've had a left side brake light out since I bought it. Never caused a problem though. I've been reaching out to Boatmate for weeks now seeking guidance, but they've been less than helpful this time around. I've gone through Jerry in the past and he's always been very responsive. I responded with a question and it took over a week to get a response. Got a response and asked another question a few days ago, still waiting to hear back.
    Let me know what you find out

2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold

Will do. I'm thinking I may just replace the whole harness and upgrade to LED lights.
    Jr.
    '08 Outback V

Had a buddy that knows more about it that I do look at them tonight. We got into the swing away tongue and found the connections weren't wide enough to be be touching. Got them bigger and now they work fine.
    2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold