Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default No sound from one tower speaker

I have a set of exile XM9's. No sound is coming from one of them. I've tried switching them back-and-forth from side to side, the good one always works and the bad one never works, seemingly eliminating the mounts as the problem.

I sent the one back to exile. They checked it out and found no problems. But when I got it back on my boat still nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Moomba Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    I have a set of exile XM9's. No sound is coming from one of them. I've tried switching them back-and-forth from side to side, the good one always works and the bad one never works, seemingly eliminating the mounts as the problem.

I sent the one back to exile. They checked it out and found no problems. But when I got it back on my boat still nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

This will be easy. Go purchase, @ Radio Shack for example, a basic mono 2-pole 1/4" female phone jack. Wire up the two poles to an amplifier channel using a new test length of wire and plug it onto the speaker 1/4" male phone plug . Bypass all else. This conclusively tests the speaker in isolation. Independent of the tower harness. Independent of the quick disconnect.

That's exactly what they did at Exile and it worked fine. It kind of has to be on the tower side, but the one speaker works fine on either side.... Puzzling.

2019 Moomba Mojo

Next you have to measure that the male 1/4" post on the speaker connector is precisely in the middle at the tip and not warped slightly to one side. Keep in mind that one contact point is a full inch away from the base of the post so the slightest imperfection can be magnified. It is possible to have a little wear and tear so that one particular male and one particular female connector no longer mate up perfectly. Also try spinning the non-working speaker 180 degrees and see if you get momentary contact. Try loosening, rotating and remounting the collar 180 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
    Next you have to measure that the male 1/4" post on the speaker connector is precisely in the middle at the tip and not warped slightly to one side. Keep in mind that one contact point is a full inch away from the base of the post so the slightest imperfection can be magnified. It is possible to have a little wear and tear so that one particular male and one particular female connector no longer mate up perfectly. Also try spinning the non-working speaker 180 degrees and see if you get momentary contact. Try loosening, rotating and remounting the collar 180 degrees.
    Hmmm. I've definitely tried spinning it around to every conceivable position and can't even get momentary sound on any position, on either side.

I'll check the alignment. It didn't look obviously bent.

2019 Moomba Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    Hmmm. I've definitely tried spinning it around to every conceivable position and can't even get momentary sound on any position, on either side.

I'll check the alignment. It didn't look obviously bent.

The diagnostic assistance will only be as good as the accuracy of the information you have provided. And I'm assuming that everything you've stated thus far is very accurate. From everything you have tried and stated thus far, it points to one issue.
    While it seems that you have already tried everything, I would follow through from the beginning and make all these tests for yourself.

Yup. I'll keep working at it. Thanks for the help, David.

2019 Moomba Mojo

Dumb question. Are all Rca connections and speaker wires plugged in good? I ask this dumb question from experience.

2017 Supra SA

I've tried switching them back-and-forth from side to side, the good one always works and the bad one never works, seemingly eliminating the mounts as the problem.
    Points to the suspect pod and eliminates speaker wire back to source. As David suggests, inspect the male head phone jack in the pod side very close.

Do you have a Kicker Dual Zone control by chance?