Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Points to the suspect pod and eliminates speaker wire back to source. As David suggests, inspect the male head phone jack in the pod side very close.
    I'm heading to the lake today. I'll play with it again and see what I can find. Like I said, I just got it back from Exile where they checked it out thoroughly. They couldn't re-create the problem on the bench. I tried calling them a few times to see if I could talk to the tech, but I get their standard voicemail "Due to high call volume, we are on a call back basis only. Please leave your name and number and we will return your call." Over the past few years of dealing with Exile, I'm pretty sure I've never got a call back.... You've gotta just get lucky and have someone answer.

Quote Originally Posted by mazzyel2162 View Post
    Do you have a Kicker Dual Zone control by chance?
    I don't. I have an Exile ZLD.
    2019 Moomba Mojo

yooper,
    Again, all diagnosis logic is predicated on the accuracy of your statements, and we can only trust that your statements are accurate.
    You have stated the following:
    The A speaker played in Exile's possession.
    The A speaker would not play in either tower position.
    The B speaker would play in either tower position.
    Exile didn't have your collars and that portion of the connection so their test cannot be conclusive. It does not include the male to female connector relationship between your speaker and your tower.
    So based on the above, the first step is to verify that you can get the A speaker to play under any test circumstance. If it doesn't play, it's simple. If it does play via some connection method other than the tower collar, then you know to focus on the speaker to collar(s) relationship.
    A female 1/4 phone jack. A pair of insulated alligator clips. Etc. That is the place to begin. You must conclusively confirm or eliminate one component in isolation at a time.

Default No sound from one tower speaker

Ok. I brought both speakers inside and hooked up a female phono jack to my home stereo. Speaker B played fine. Speaker A, still nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Moomba Mojo

Next step: I removed the speaker cone and hooked wires directly to the speaker terminals. Worked and sounded fine.

I DID notice that the male phono plug can pretty easily be rotated by hand. I don't know what the connection on the other end of that male piece looks like, but the pin can be rotated infinitely in either direction.... If there are supposed to be wires hooked to that, I should pretty quickly feel some resistance, right?

2019 Moomba Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    Next step: I removed the speaker cone and hooked wires directly to the speaker terminals. Worked and sounded fine.

I DID notice that the male phono plug can pretty easily be rotated by hand. I don't know what the connection on the other end of that male piece looks like, but the pin can be rotated infinitely in either direction.... If there are supposed to be wires hooked to that, I should pretty quickly feel some resistance, right?

You just found the problem.

Next I cut the wires that go to the connection pod and twisted the speaker wires direct. It worked.

The problem is in the male phono plug itself.

2019 Moomba Mojo

2019 Moomba Mojo

Thank Goodness. Finally I can get a good nights sleep without constantly worrying about it.

Ha! I could tell you were pretty upset

2019 Moomba Mojo

Quick update and a shout out to Exile. After I finally isolated the problem, I called Exile and explained the situation and they immediately sent out a new part for me to fix my speaker. It arrived yesterday and I haven't got out to the lake to install it yet, but I should be all set. Thanks, guys.
    2019 Moomba Mojo