Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default "Suck gate" results thread

That other thread started out on one topic and went through 3-4 others. It's high time we devoted a thread strictly to your results with your version of this specific type of gate.

I copied the design (mostly) from page 30 in the Ronix thread. I'm still experimenting with weight and movement but love the results so far. In the pics below I have both rear 750's full, the 400 center full and my mini-IBS of about 350 full. The wake plate is all the way down although I did change it to half way up when I rode. With it all the way up the wave is close to a kid's shoulder and kind of intimidating. The pic of the gate shows about where I had it positioned at the time of the photos (it would be about the same on the other side for goofy.

sukgate1.0.jpg

20160709_140708.jpg

20160709_142148.jpg
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Nice job and the wake looks great. I am excited to build one myself. Thanks for the photos.
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV Ballast III (stock), Heater, Roswell Quad Spin Pro, Bimini

Default "Suck gate" results thread

I tested a bunch of designs and handles and the Seastow was my favorite. Stainless springs, plastic handle, smaller diameter and very good holding power. Here is where I landed and have been using this summer: 6x9 plate at 100 degrees.

And this is a shot of it in action on a 08 LSV:

Last edited by brain_rinse; 07-11-2016 at 12:40 PM.

looks fantastic!

My write up from earlier today. No action shots but will have next weekend.

It feels like I have a new boat with the new Suck Gate in play!!

Wow is all I can say. I spent most of the week on family vacation being pulled by a Master Craft X30 surf machine (awesome). I knew I was going to have a really hard time going back to reality with the '07 XLV. Sure enough everyone that surfed the X30 was not too happy. We have a good wave but not compared to an X30. I attached the Suck Gate later that day with no one in the boat and by magic (or physics if you believe in that kind of thing) we got a new surf boat!! One of my kids said it is "cheating" it is so easy to surf now.

I stuck the front suction cup directly under the cleat as low as it could go (middle level). Sitting at rest with a bit of list on surf side it was about half way out of the water but I can't go much lower and that spot worked. I can't go any further back because of the curve to the transom. Once under way the whole gate was submerged.

This gate has a 60* slant. 7" wide at the bottom, 6" wide at the top by 9" high. Other than changing from wood to HDPE I have absolutely no plans to change the design or angle because it worked so perfectly. If someone comes out with better numbers I will change to that.

First day was with 7 people in the boat, 3 regular sized adults and 4 adult sized teenagers but all really thin. Rear bags about 50% non surf 60% surf front bag empty, wake plate neutral. No people in the bow. Speed 12.5 MPH. I don't know if my speedo is correct or not.

Second day was with 4 people, 2 regular sized humans and 2 of the skinny teenagers. Rear bags about 70% non surf 80% surf, front bag 50%, wake plate neutral. No people in the bow. Speed 12.5 MPH.

I would say the tip of my board is about 8 feet back from the swim platform with control and can recover much better.

Besides the wave the best part was time to start (didn't have to fill bags fully) and time to switch from goofy to normal, about two minutes instead of 15-20 minutes. We did a fill on one side and drain on the other while I moved the gate, done!

Clipped an aluminum carabiner to the cleat with para cord to the gate but never had to use it. That gate stuck for two days like it was glued on and no problems steering.

If you haven't made one yet, do it NOW!

Last edited by 5:00; 07-11-2016 at 12:59 PM.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Some of you have way more time than I do. Question, I have a Wakeland surf system on my SA, would I benefit from adding a suck gate in addition to the surf system? Issue I am trying to fix right now is lack of push.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Minus all of the clear coat I built this in about 40 minutes. I am the slow one on the forum from what I can tell.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    looks fantastic!
    Thanks Drew! It's been fun testing out different designs and then seeing the ridiculous improvements in the surf waves.

My suckgate collapsed so it is at 45 degrees now but the wave has been vastly improved with it this way. Can someone that has the 90/45 degree design post some findings on both.

My setup:
    • 2014 Mojo
    • 900 lb lockers
    • 500 lb Center tank
    • 650 lb IBS
    • Manual Flow - not deployed
    • 2069 Prop
    • Suckgate - 45 degrees, 8 x 12

My findings:
    • hasn't fell off once in 10 hours of surfing
    • tried filling my 900lb bags about 2/3 full(same in both sides) this weekend and with the wake plate up fully my wife said it's the best push(goofy) we've had. This allowed an easy transition from goofy to regular.
    • didn't play with the trim much, but while my wife was surfing, I put it all the way down and the wave lengthened but lost all the push. Need to find the sweet spot with the trim.
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    That other thread started out on one topic and went through 3-4 others. It's high time we devoted a thread strictly to your results with your version of this specific type of gate.

I copied the design (mostly) from page 30 in the Ronix thread. I'm still experimenting with weight and movement but love the results so far. In the pics below I have both rear 750's full, the 400 center full and my mini-IBS of about 350 full. The wake plate is all the way down although I did change it to half way up when I rode. With it all the way up the wave is close to a kid's shoulder and kind of intimidating. The pic of the gate shows about where I had it positioned at the time of the photos (it would be about the same on the other side for goofy.

sukgate1.0.jpg

20160709_140708.jpg

20160709_142148.jpg
    just shows how great that LSV hull is
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart