Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 06 340 assault water temp issues

I posted this on the supra forum, but we all know how hopping it is over there! Lol
    while we were out yesterday my water temp gauge starting acting weird. We were headed back to party cove on Conroe and was on plane running around 3700RPM... I started feeling what felt like cavitation (kind of pulling the boat back) off and on as we went over a shallower spot in the lake, I figured the currents were swinging and pulling on the boat. When I looked at the helm I noticed my water temp gauge was around 130*ish. It never got back above that mark the rest of the day, but the boat ran just fine.
    What do these 340 engines normally run temp wise? I see online people sayin 140-160*, but aren't the thermostats 160*? Mine usually sits around 180 idling and a little cooler when moving.
    So in Yall's opinion, should I be looking more at the temp sender or the thermostat? I'm going to replace both, but I wanna do it one at a time and figure out of the t-stat stuck open or the temp sender is dying... Thanks!
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Always fix Thermostat first. That is the one that can fu** your motor. A sensor issue isn't gonna cause your engine to overheat, as it's just a simple sending unit.

Yeah those supra guys aren't chatty at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 LSV Red/White

1100lb upgrades in each rear locker!
    Stock 500 Bow ballast
    650IBS
    Manual Flow equipped

Boards
    Hyperlite Hi-Fi "The Illest"
    CWB AMG Carbon
    Phase 5 Razz
    Byerly Volt
    4.6 Ronix Koal Fish
    Phase Five Scamp (kiddos)

My 2007 340 CAT/ETX sticks right at 180. It's held steady at that temp since the day I bought it. I remember reading a long time ago that the CAT/ETX engines run hotter than the regular ones, and that it is normal. I was always concerned after reading that most boats stick to 160 deg, but mine has always stayed at 180 on the dot after warming up.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games Edition
    340HP CAT/ETX
    ACME 1235 / Fresh Air Exhaust
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform
    Slingshot Hooke, Doomswell Neo, Phase 5 Hammerhead, Parker Surfcraft Phantom

Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post
    My 2007 340 CAT/ETX sticks right at 180. It's held steady at that temp since the day I bought it. I remember reading a long time ago that the CAT/ETX engines run hotter than the regular ones, and that it is normal. I was always concerned after reading that most boats stick to 160 deg, but mine has always stayed at 180 on the dot after warming up.
    160-180 would be normal. Getting to 200 would probably start trouble on water cooled motors.

Therm would be cheap and easy to change now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Well, I'm gonna stop by Rinkers and grab my new tower foot pads and a thermostat if I can ever get home from this trip...
    Overkill is underrated

2017 Supra SA 400

Better get it straightened out, the jam is coming quick!
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

I know... And I have so much work to do! New amp for the rev410, tower foot pads, cleaning, and the list goes on. Anyone wanna come work on the big girl for me?!? Lmao I'll provide the beer!
    Overkill is underrated

2017 Supra SA 400

I know the 24 like the back of my hand, if you were further north I'd be on my way!
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Trust me, I'm looking forward to meeting you. I have some questions about your stereo install you did on yours.
    Overkill is underrated

2017 Supra SA 400

Update...
    Well I solved the issue where I thought the boat was hesitating or losing power at speed. My fuel pump was dying. Went out Saturday and as soon as we got outside the no wake zome and gave it gas it choked out and tried to die. New pump and filter and she's back up and running stronger than ever!
    While I was out though I was getting temp fluctuations. It didn't indicate over 140*, but every now and then it would rise to 170ish at idle and then drop back down. Now it's time for a new t-stat...
    Overkill is underrated

2017 Supra SA 400