Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I weighed my 2008 XLV at a truck scale and it was heavier than I'd have thought.

I have a 2008 XLV on the boatmate trailer. I was kind of surprised at the weight of the boat + trailer when I weighed it.

When I put the rear axles of the trailer on the scale, the weight was 5,500 pounds. Then I weighed the truck with and without the trailer attached to find out that the truck was carrying about 750 pounds of tongue weight.

So 5,500 + 750 = 6,250 of total boat/trailer.

The extras I had over dry weight were are follows:
    • Full tank of gas
    • Spare trailer wheel/tire (offset by the decrease in weight from losing the steel wheels and going aluminum)
    • Bow safety chain and rear tiedown ratcheting straps
    • Normal fluids (oil, etc)
    • Three Group 29 batteries (1 primary battery probably included in dry weight and 2 extras)
    • 2 wakeboards, 4 surfboards, 1 slalom ski
    • 1 deflated tube
    • Boat cover
    • Extra Stereo Wiring and Amps
    • REV 410 Tower speakers
    • Two 10" subs and their box
    • Cargo Bimini
    • Ballast Pump
    • Life Jackets and wetsuits and misc supplies
    • Case of bottled Water
    • Boat towels
    • Anchor, shore spike, rope
    • bouy balls
    • ballast bags with a little bit of residual water in them

Anyway, I guess it's a good thing that we upgraded the truck from the Ridgeline to the F150.

750 is 12% of my total trailer weight, so that does fall into the 9 to 15% rule of thumb on tongue weight.

Anyway, I found it interesting to know what my boat really weighs. I would have guessed around 5,800 pounds, but I was 450 off.
    Last edited by trayson; 07-06-2016 at 06:00 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Default I weighed my 2008 XLV at a truck scale and it was heavier than I'd have thought.

Wonder where I am with 1000lbs of lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Me + 1000 + surf tabs + a little from your reversibles
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Wow. I never would have guessed you had that much tongue weight. Are you just using the standard hitch, no weight distributing hitch or anything? What kind of sag do you get in the rear when hooking the boat up? I have an F150 and my boat trailer tongue weight is around 300lbs, the truck doesn't even sag when I drop the trailer on it but I know the F150 hitch is limited to 500lbs w/out a WDH hitch so it's good to know you're having no issues with being so far over that number. Boat and truck look great BTW!

Good helpful post. I am shocked too since your boat dry weight is 3,600. I need to go get an f250!! Or I need to stay off this forum. It's gettin expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Supra SA

My Silverado went into the shop today with a rear oil seal leak, pulled the LSV with the wife's Tahoe today with no complaints, it actually did alot better than I expected with highway gears through the hills

I weight my Supra 21v two years ago and I was sitting right 5,950 lb but that is with about 800 lb of steel weight in the boat. (that is on a 6000 lb trailer)
    After that I took 400 lb of steel weights out and When traveling anything over an hour I put the other 400 in the bed of the truck. I also make sure the trailer is sitting level before any long trips.
    I had both front bearings go bad so that go me looking at this.
    2007 supra 21v

This is a classic reason why I preach so much that people need the proper type of vehicle to tow these boats with.

I haven't weighed my set up while I'm traveling to GA right now but I know I'm a lot heavier in the truck right now because I can feel the difference in stopping.

The boat has a few hundred extra in it due to we are caring the cloths and blankets in it.

Point is, don't ever underestimate your weight on your trucks. You risk more then just your own gear
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

My duramax feels the weight of the SE. I think it is rated at 7000 or something like that dry, not telling what it is loaded down with everything, including 85 gallons of fuel....

I noticed the other day when pulling the camper that the truck feels like it works harder pulling the boat!
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

I have always been interested in what my set up weights and the tongue weight. I found a scare for measuring tongue weight online but it was like $120 and not worth it. if I ever come across a weigh station I might have to check it.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD