Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dual batteries worth it?

Right now we have the dual battery option from the factory. We are going to be swapping batteries because it looks like ours are worn out. Since we have a cottage and never run anything with the key off for extended periods of time is there any benefit of a dual battery setup?

Yes.......

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

I do run my stereo for extended times off one battery and never had an issue. Ski boats don't like weight and they don't have a place for one. Try it on one battery for a time and see if you have any issues. The battery does need to be maintained and replaced when it is evident that you have hard cranking. I keep a battery tender on it when not in use.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    Yes.......

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    not to be rude but what kind of answer is that? I've always had 1 battery in the boats we have owned before and never had an issue. I can see if you go out on the lake and run a stereo while floating or do stuff with the engine off, but if you don't do that what benefit? When the engine is running the batteries are being charged and the draw is from the ALT unless you are drawing too much then it resorts to the battery but we don't have a stereo that would pull that.

Of all the toys & accessories that I've fitted to my boat the second battery & blue sea add a battery with charge relay has to be the most essential. if your alternator is playing up & you havnt realised or you stop to let the kids play & run the battery below its minimum cranking out put you can always relay on your cranking battery or pair them up to get started & back to the jetty, it gives you that extra security. definitely worth the money.

I second sivs1's answer.

Yes
    Last edited by mazzyel2162; 07-06-2016 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by loudsubz View Post
    not to be rude but what kind of answer is that?
    concise (with the required 10 characters)

the benefit is pretty straightforward in your case. You have a backup battery in case your primary battery fails.

So you're the only one that can answer the question if the possibility of getting stranded one day + the cost of lost boating fun from downtime while you get a new battery is worth the price of a battery, battery box, perko switch, and some wiring.

You said from the get-go that you don't use your battery like many of us, so it's not worth addressing the reasons why we do it.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Default Dual batteries worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    the benefit is pretty straightforward in your case. You have a backup battery in case your primary battery fails.

So you're the only one that can answer the question if the possibility of getting stranded one day + the cost of lost boating fun from downtime while you get a new battery is worth the price of a battery, battery box, perko switch, and some wiring.

You said from the get-go that you don't use your battery like many of us, so it's not worth addressing the reasons why we do it.
    Boat is already wired, cost is a replacement battery.
    -Jake

Quote Originally Posted by beat taco View Post
    Boat is already wired, cost is a replacement battery.
    You're right. I missed that in his description.

So basically is it worth saving $100 on the 2nd battery to have that "just in case" backup. Most of us would say yes.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com