Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Ski Rope

Default Water Ski Rope

Okay, so I'm not out there carving buoys. I can get up on the first pull every time, and I can cut around (mostly cutting OUT from the wake) and I can just freeski around without falling. I haven't bothered getting a "water ski" specific rope, and I'm not really sure if it's that big of deal for the freeskiing I do.

Is it really something I should consider getting a dedicated water ski rope? Or is the non-stretch wakeboard line fine for my purposes?

2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Default Water Ski Rope

Trayson, your wake board rope will do just fine. If your just freeskiing and not looking to shorten it, anything will do. If you were comp skiing, then an official rope is in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz
    2007 LSV - Sold
    2003 Outback - Sold

I skied with a non-stretch wakeboard rope....once. No matter what your skiing skill and style it is nice to have the rope take some of the shock from the upper torso in cuts and anytime you get some slack. Think of it as having a spare rope. It will give you length constancy behind any boat that has a comp rope. Not a priority but nice to have.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Default Water Ski Rope

I'm with zabooda- with the higher speeds of skiing, and the extra load from pulling you up on a slalom ski vs the wakeboard, I think you'll find the stretch in the ski rope much more enjoyable.
    I like to start from the dock on the slalom ski, and I sure as hell wouldn't do that with a static wakeboard line.
    2015 Outback V

I would get at least an 8 section mainline - allows you to tinker with shorter lines just for the fun of it - and you never know when you might have a serious skier drop by for a run?? I would avoid buying too cheap of a rope and would stay away from the 'Gladiator' brand that Overtons sells if you are buying a mainline plus handle.
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

I ended up picking up this one because I was able to get it on Amazon Prime before my last trip. It was nicer to have some stretch in the rope. I wasn't all that impressed with the narrower handle, but for under $20, it's not like I can complain much.

2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    I wasn't all that impressed with the narrower handle
    When I first learned to wakeboard, I thought "why the hell is this handle so big?". I was taught to hold it more like a baseball bat with one hand "over" and the other "under" but with some space between your hands (1-2"?). I know their are some differences of opinion on this matter but that always felt comfortable and powerful for me. For example: http://www.iwsfranking.com/skierinfo...oxThorpeJG.jpg
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Nice shot of Wade... Yes for slalom the baseball grip is almost a requirement. but it varies based on which foot you put forward. For left foot front - use a right handed baseball grip. For right foot front use left handed baseball grip. It makes a difference....
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

I have to agree in that a decent sectioned rope are worth having.. Most people take the first 15 foot white section off and now ski 15 off no mater what.. Less slack , still plenty long etc still at a safe point of wake.. Now with a sectioned rope if you are so inclined or have a harder skier around then shortening can and likely will happen. Having the rope stretch a little can be a game changer, or saver at times.. A decent handle can be different widths and diameters.. I have large hands, long fingers so I bought a larger diameter handle section , but for basic free skiing not likely needed.. All up to you, like a lot of things ,you get what you pay for.
    07 Outback DD

Quote Originally Posted by BensonWdby View Post
    for slalom the baseball grip is almost a requirement. but it varies based on which foot you put forward. For left foot front - use a right handed baseball grip. For right foot front use left handed baseball grip. It makes a difference....
    I think I have been doing this backward my whole life. Wonder if that's why I never improved.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!