Default 07 LSV Beginner surfer setup

Well I am finally getting around to trying the surf game and know that I'm going to be a little handcuffed in my system but figured I would ask how best to tune the boat up to optimize the learning/riding experience. I have 500 IBS, 1k bag in each locker. I could add the 300 [400]or so pounds in the center locker if that would help. My limitations are no perfect pass [this winter's project], stock swim platform, stock prop. From other posts I know that I'll want full IBS, 1 full rear bag, 75%? of opposing locker depending on surfer style. I've been following along one of the other threads and will attempt the suck gate. Would I be better off with a ghetto gate instead or a combination of both? Or more expensive yet, one of the newer swim platforms? Crew size is never more than a handful. Speed will obviously be a limiting factor since consistency will be off. Any suggestions that have worked for you? Thank you!
    Jeff
    2007 LSV - FAE, G4 setup with Sumo 500 IBS, 1k rear lockers

Not sure if the hull of the 2007 is the same as my 2011, but here's what we did. Without a gate, we used to fill surf side full and put majority of crew on that side.... leave other side empty to 25%. If you have another portable bag, put that on your bow seat as well as IBS.( the bow weight really made a difference for us, but be careful not to take a roller over the bow). Heres a pic from a few years back with that set up. I think we ran about 10.2 mph then with wake plate 80% down. Best thing is to experiment. Try only changing one thing at a time. Good luck.

2011 Mobius LSV, V2 Tower, 1100lbs regular side,
    750lbs goofy, 370lbs ski locker, 750lbs bow,
    flow surf (don't use it thanks to suck gate)

You are in a much better situation than you think. Both Perfect Pass and a surf sized swim platform are nice to have but hardly mandatory. The first weekend we had our boat we surfed with the boat completely stock (400# bags, platform, etc.) By far the most important upgrade is ballast and you're done. I would put the 400# back in the center locker, bow weight helps this boat greatly. We generally run about 25% in the off side locker.

As for speed control, that will just take practice. Best advice I can offer is: control speed by tach not by speedo. The response time is slow so make a little adjustment (100 rpm) and then wait to see what the resulting speed is. It might take a little longer to get it stabilized "by hand" but once you're there, you should mostly be able to leave it alone. Fight the urge to constantly adjust the throttle, strive to find the engine speed (tach) that holds you where you want the speedo.

We still have the stock platform. I want to get a surf sized platform but it's low on my life's to-do list because we're surfing fine right now. I know it will be better but it's not unusable as is.

The prop might become more important. We had trouble getting to wakeboard speeds with much ballast beyond the stock setup until I put a different prop on. (I'm also at higher elevation so double whammy). I ordered the new prop after the first day with upgraded ballast.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll weight it per your suggestions and hopefully that will clean it up.
    Jeff
    2007 LSV - FAE, G4 setup with Sumo 500 IBS, 1k rear lockers