Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cracks in Gel Coat...

Hi there, has anyone else had problems with cracks in their gelcoat? I have cracks all around my window, and now in the back corner of my boat as well. Large one in the back corner straight down.. I have a 2013 LSV. I've had it in twice to get repaired under warranty at dealer, but each time I get boat back (in the spring - they do the work over the winter) they never finish the job or do them all. I've received it back again this year with some long cracks still around the drivers side window that were not repaired under warranty as expected last year, but now they're telling me its out of warranty so I'm on my own... It would have been nice if they were fixed the first two times the boat was in for the work!!!

Anyone else having issues with cracks in the gelcoat? Is it anything to be worried about or is it normal? Attached are the pics along window... I'll take some of the back corner next time I'm at cottage... Anything to worry about, or normal? Seems like some pretty big cracks. I'm more pissed that it's gone in twice to get fixed, and never fully done, now dealer washing hands of it saying it's past warranty and got declined from SC for work under warranty... The dealer has been great to deal with, and I've bought two Moomba's from them. Just a little disappointed with the cracks...

IMG_20160603_173939.jpgIMG_20160603_173951.jpgIMG_20160603_173956.jpgIMG_20160603_174001.jpgIMG_20160603_174023.jpg
    ----------------------------------------
    2014 Moomba Mojo 2.5
    2013 Moomba LSV (Sold)
    2013 Moomba Outback V (Sold)
    2002 Mastercraft X-5

Hmm. If it was me and I took it in for warranty work and they didn't do the work and let the warranty period expire I would not allow them to get away with that.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

They should have logged the warranty repair w/ SC, so call the factory direct and see if you can't get some resolution.

Not normal at all. SC should take care of this. Go direct! I have a 12 mojo with 550 hrs and NO cracks anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shane
    2016 Supra SE
    EXILED
    6 XM9 Tower
    6 Wetsounds XS650 Cabin
    1 EXILE BIG 12 DVC 2000 watt in a ported box
    1 XM 15.4
    XI 1500.1
    2 MX 30.2
    Wetsounds 420 EQ
    EXILE Blue tooth EXBT4
    Blue LEDs

Nope, not normal. I would be kind of troubled if they just appear over time.
    Most gelcoat boats do not develop cracks unless the gelcoat is 30 years old and starting to get brittle...

I know that if polyester is cured at wrong temperatures or improper ratios of hardener to polyester you can end up with weak polyester or never fully cured.
    My guess would be that too much hardener and/or too high temperatures can lead to the plastic curing too quick and you end up with something brittle.

My boat fell off its trailer and got some cracks from hitting the pavement, even this has not gotten worse in 8 years.
    My bet would be bad curing of the gelcoat. I would want SC to replace the boat.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by roosm View Post
    I would want SC to replace the boat.

Mike
    Maybe the most ridiculous statement I've read on this forum and I can assure you that this won't happen.

Follow up with SC to see if the warranty item was logged by the dealer. If not, start digging through your emails so,you can show SC that the dealer didn't follow through on their end.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Maybe the most ridiculous statement I've read on this forum and I can assure you that this won't happen.

Follow up with SC to see if the warranty item was logged by the dealer. If not, start digging through your emails so,you can show SC that the dealer didn't follow through on their end.
    I am not saying it will happen. But I would not trust that gel coat. Seems like there is a manufacturing issue. I can't figure out a good way to get a new mold of gel coat on an existing boat.
    If these cracks continue to develop year in and year out without any obvious reason. Like hitting the boat towards a hard object.
    The only explanation I can figure out would be that the original gel coat did not cure correctly.

So, ok. Let me rephrase that. I would want a reasonable explanation of why this is happening and why it won't continue developing during the life of the boat.
    Unless of course the boat is used in a fashion that is not "normal". Don't know what that would be.
    Cracks can develop because of:
    Stress, with a new boat this should only be the case if the boat is used in an unusual fashion.
    Sunlight (almost only on darker gel coat).
    Hitting a hard object. I am assuming this is not the case.
    Water intrusion in the resin causing the resin to expand. Unlikely on the top of the boat unless it has been sitting under water for a long time.
    Manufacturing errors.

I am just saying that I would lean towards the last one and that I would never be satisfied with that I would have seen the last of those cracks unless I get another reasonable explanation.

Mike

Spider cracks on Moombas at least 10 years ago was normal especially around the tower and cleats. That was one of the top discussions back then. My boat had them when I bought it and 14 years later the cracks haven't expanded. SC didn't do much then and probably won't do much now.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    Spider cracks on Moombas at least 10 years ago was normal especially around the tower and cleats. That was one of the top discussions back then. My boat had them when I bought it and 14 years later the cracks haven't expanded. SC didn't do much then and probably won't do much now.
    I agree. Some boats get them, some don't. Most are per the areas listed above.

I have some on the transom of my 07 Supra SSV. 1 or 2 got a little larger over the years. Nothing major. It does not bother me, so I have no reason to fix.

Post the reply on what SC tells you. You will see other threads out there on the subject - not getting the answer they wanted to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted what I hear. I'll contact the owner at boat dealer first to discuss, then go to SC if he's still not willing to fix the cracks his team haven't fixed the last 2 times it's gone in... Boat is treated like a baby, as most of us do. It's on a boat lift all the time out of the water when not in use, and only trailered twice a year, to put it in the water and take it out, and is stored indoors at dealer in winter (at least that's what they tell me)...
    ----------------------------------------
    2014 Moomba Mojo 2.5
    2013 Moomba LSV (Sold)
    2013 Moomba Outback V (Sold)
    2002 Mastercraft X-5