Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Exile XM9's more mid bass

I know this is a silly question because I am asking to get more mid bass (really just less screaming) out of a horn tower speaker. However, we just do not blare these for the wakeboarder much. All that being said, is there a suggestion to turn some of the horn on the xm9 and make the sound richer and more mid bass? I had the entire system tuned when the 12 sub was installed. There are so many places to adjust that I am curious if a tuner on here could suggest what I adjust.

Do I adjust the gain, the input on eq, the input screws on bottom of eq, the setting for passover on amp? I have 4 xm9's (30.2 amp), 12 sub (javelin), 4 cabins, and newest eq.
    2017 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by russellsmojo View Post
    I know this is a silly question because I am asking to get more mid bass (really just less screaming) out of a horn tower speaker. However, we just do not blare these for the wakeboarder much. All that being said, is there a suggestion to turn some of the horn on the xm9 and make the sound richer and more mid bass? I had the entire system tuned when the 12 sub was installed. There are so many places to adjust that I am curious if a tuner on here could suggest what I adjust.

Do I adjust the gain, the input on eq, the input screws on bottom of eq, the setting for passover on amp? I have 4 xm9's (30.2 amp), 12 sub (javelin), 4 cabins, and newest eq.
    Remove the logo plate on the back of the xm9. There is a crossover switch. Flip the switch for a toned down version. That simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shane
    2016 Supra SE
    EXILED
    6 XM9 Tower
    6 Wetsounds XS650 Cabin
    1 EXILE BIG 12 DVC 2000 watt in a ported box
    1 XM 15.4
    XI 1500.1
    2 MX 30.2
    Wetsounds 420 EQ
    EXILE Blue tooth EXBT4
    Blue LEDs

I did that when I installed. Hoping for still more mid less high.

2017 Supra SA

Russ,
    You can't really equalize a boost in the midbass without seriously compromising the power handling. Maybe you can EQ just a little more midbass that is simultaneously offset by the raising the highpass filter. But there isn't a lot to be gained here addressing the midbass.
    You have far more latitude in attenuating the horn tweeter. As you have discovered, the switch is limited in the amount of treble attenuation you'll get. You could change out the speaker's internal resister to a larger value and get more treble attenuation, but at some point this re-biases the passive crossover network and would have really negative consequences on the sound quality. So these type circuits are usually limited to about +/- 2 dB, a modest change, before the change becomes noticeable in other unwanted areas. This leaves the option of active equalization for the tower speakers, specifically to address the treble. If you don't have an EQ, strongly consider one. But you'll want to impact the tower speakers without impacting the in-boat zone. This can be done with the Wetsounds WS420SQ dual zone EQ or with a hide-away EQ like an Audio Control that is dedicated to the tower only. Keep in mind that any equalization that alters the tower speakers more to your liking (warmer) will absolutely reduce the peak output and therefore the projection range. That's okay if your interest is more for near field listening. However, you can defeat the tower EQ at any time and restore the speaker to its original balance and output.

Quote Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
    Russ,
    You can't really equalize a boost in the midbass without seriously compromising the power handling. Maybe you can EQ just a little more midbass that is simultaneously offset by the raising the highpass filter. But there isn't a lot to be gained here addressing the midbass.
    You have far more latitude in attenuating the horn tweeter. As you have discovered, the switch is limited in the amount of treble attenuation you'll get. You could change out the speaker's internal resister to a larger value and get more treble attenuation, but at some point this re-biases the passive crossover network and would have really negative consequences on the sound quality. So these type circuits are usually limited to about +/- 2 dB, a modest change, before the change becomes noticeable in other unwanted areas. This leaves the option of active equalization for the tower speakers, specifically to address the treble. If you don't have an EQ, strongly consider one. But you'll want to impact the tower speakers without impacting the in-boat zone. This can be done with the Wetsounds WS420SQ dual zone EQ or with a hide-away EQ like an Audio Control that is dedicated to the tower only. Keep in mind that any equalization that alters the tower speakers more to your liking (warmer) will absolutely reduce the peak output and therefore the projection range. That's okay if your interest is more for near field listening. However, you can defeat the tower EQ at any time and restore the speaker to its original balance and output.
    David, would changing the amp from hf to full bring in the full sound? What about the bass boost? I have the latest exile eq. I was going to mess with setting them up like you would a speaker that you want full sound from. I do not really get why such a large surface area speaker is only good at blaring high notes? I am less concerned with range at wakeboard lengths. More concerned with good cove, surf, and anchored sound.

Last edited by russellsmojo; 06-08-2016 at 09:07 PM.
    2017 Supra SA

Russ,
    First, these comments would apply to any 8" HLCD tower speaker regardless of brand. So I am not picking on Exile. I'm just giving you straight information.
    Sure, an 8" speaker would normally have decent midbass depth. But after you load the pod with the deep driver displacement, there's hardly any air space remaining inside that bowl/pod. And the internal pod displacement has as much to do with the midbass as does the speaker size, actually more. Could the same speaker produce far better midbass in a pod four times as large? Certainly. But nobody wants that. So really, the speaker determines the low frequency roll-off point far more than the amplifier active crossover cut-off point. The active crossover is only mirroring the speaker's natural response in order to protect the speaker from damage. If you remove the highpass filter you will NOT get more midbass extension but you will seriously reduce the speaker's power handling. In the same respect, applying the bass boost is the worst possible approach to this issue. So either change is begging for a speaker failure.
    The other part of this is that the horn tweeter is so dominant, which in part forms your perception of the lack of midbass. A horn loaded compression tweeter is at least 10 dB more efficient than an 8" midbass counterpart. The speakers internal passive crossover can moderate some of this....however, if they were to totally bridal the tweeter it would no longer give you the extra output which translates directly into distance projection.
    You are probably a candidate for more of a surf speaker than an HLCD. But the right EQ can deliver a similar softer sound of a surf speaker. And like I mentioned, the EQ is defeatable at any time in order to restore the HLCD sound for max projection.

Quote Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
    Russ,
    First, these comments would apply to any 8" HLCD tower speaker regardless of brand. So I am not picking on Exile. I'm just giving you straight information.
    Sure, an 8" speaker would normally have decent midbass depth. But after you load the pod with the deep driver displacement, there's hardly any air space remaining inside that bowl/pod. And the internal pod displacement has as much to do with the midbass as does the speaker size, actually more. Could the same speaker produce far better midbass in a pod four times as large? Certainly. But nobody wants that. So really, the speaker determines the low frequency roll-off point far more than the amplifier active crossover cut-off point. The active crossover is only mirroring the speaker's natural response in order to protect the speaker from damage. If you remove the highpass filter you will NOT get more midbass extension but you will seriously reduce the speaker's power handling. In the same respect, applying the bass boost is the worst possible approach to this issue. So either change is begging for a speaker failure.
    The other part of this is that the horn tweeter is so dominant, which in part forms your perception of the lack of midbass. A horn loaded compression tweeter is at least 10 dB more efficient than an 8" midbass counterpart. The speakers internal passive crossover can moderate some of this....however, if they were to totally bridal the tweeter it would no longer give you the extra output which translates directly into distance projection.
    You are probably a candidate for more of a surf speaker than an HLCD. But the right EQ can deliver a similar softer sound of a surf speaker. And like I mentioned, the EQ is defeatable at any time in order to restore the HLCD sound for max projection.
    David, thanks for the input. I get everything you are saying and had kind of came to that conclusion. It's kind of funny to have 2k in speakers that I leave turned down (via eq) most of the time and bang my head on!

2017 Supra SA

I am wondering where you have your tower speakers crossed over at. is it possible that you have them crossed over too high?

Yeah, the exile zone control is going to adjust the midbass and midrange and treble for your towers and your cabins simultaneously. Like David said, the WS420sq does let you adjust your equalizer settings of the towers separate from the cabins. This is good, because I've seen 6.5" cabins getting maxed out with all the midbass they can handle while the towers are begging for more. (admittedly the cabins SHOULD be crossed over higher than the towers and theoretically you could turn up your midbass on your whole system via the exile eq and the cabins shouldn't be affected adversely if they are crossed over correctly. if the EQ is boosting frequencies the cabins can't handle, they should be crossed over so it's filtered out.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by russellsmojo View Post

As you have read there is no Real way to make the XM9 have more mid bass or accomplish what your truly after.

What you should do before changing your cross over settings and everything being suggested is Call Brian at Exile. Tell him i sent you over and you want to see about working a deal to change those XM9s to the Surf 9s.

These are a solid woofer and a separate tweeter and have a lot better ability to supply you the mid bass you are looking for. it will have a much richer and fuller sound then the XM9s but you won't be as loud at wake board distance.

The switch on the XM9 was designed originally for when some people who had tower at the back of the cabin vs those who have the tower more over the windshield. It would allow the speakers to not sound as harsh to the riders in the boat with a forward tower vs a rearward tower.

Anyhow before you go changing all your settings, call Brian tell him I sent you and see if you can work something out on a swap to SXTQ9s, they are a cheaper speaker by price so he might be willing to help you out.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Thanks Mike! I was thinking about such a suggestion.

2017 Supra SA