Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default replacing tower speakers

I need to replace my tower speakers. I'm not exactly sure what I currently have. They say MB Quart Reference on them. I've attached a picture of them. The outside diameter of the cans measures about 7.75". I'm not a huge audio guy. I just want to replace them with something that sounds okay and will reach wakeboarders. I saw mention of Kicker KMS67 replacement speakers. If those would work, they would fit my budget well.

Also, any ideas how I would open the MB Quart cans to replace the speakers inside?

boat_speakers.jpg

Thanks!
    05 Mobius LSV - gravity 3 ballast and wake plate
    single axle trailer
    DIY hot water shower installed
    DIY tube inflator installed

The 7.75 OD should do, the OD of the KMS76 is right at 7.0. You will need a 5.125" ID, but those pods could be enlarged if needed. Depth for the compression driver also needs to be taken into account. If need, the cross over can be removed and relocated to the side of the horn to gain the clearance.

The Kicker KMS67 is a real, honest to goodness HLCD, just like a Wet Sounds, Rev, Bullet Hollowpoint or exile xm9. Kicker just does it as component style rather than a pro-axial system like the others. The one distinct advantage is that the separate compression driver and horn, easily allows for the horn's flare to be continuous, rather than a long section of parallel walls before the horn starts to flare. This makes the compression driver very smooth. Its the best sounding 6.5" HLCD.

What amp do you have to drive them?

That MB Quart 6.5" was over-sized so the pod I.D. opening is already large enough.
    There's no doubt that the Kicker is by far the best 6.5" HLCD. However, all 6.5" HLCDs are challenged due to the ratio of a small midbass driver in comparison to an inordinately powerful horn tweeter. The Kicker is no exception, even with the horn attenuated. Now, when you add the second pair of Kicker midbass drivers in order to have four midbass drivers and two horn tweeters, the package comes into balance and this becomes an entirely different speaker. But that means six tower pods. I believe those tower pods and collars are still available, although the silver powder coating would likely be custom. I mention all this because otherwise you are going from FOUR 6.5" coaxials to TWO 6.5" HLCD components. Yes, with considerably more treble power, but with less midbass & midrange power.

Thanks for the replies on the KMS76 speakers. Should I look at different speakers to keep it at a total of 4 instead of going to 6? If so, I'd like to keep the price in a similar range.

I'll have a look at my amp and post info about it up later today.

Any ideas how I get the cover off of the existing cans? It looks like there are 2 plastic parts. One is a ring or band and the other is the grill cover. The band is between the grill and the metal can. I can make the band rotate around, but I don't see how to get things off unless it is just prying with a flat head screwdriver until something pops off (hopefully without breaking).
    single axle trailer

single axle trailer

Just go with the 4 kicker setup and if later on you want to upgrade to the "6 pack" you can. Your amp will probably be fine. You'll certainly notice an improvement in range.

As far as taking out the MB Quarts, you probably just need to pull the wire mesh from the pastic surround it's mounted in. Get a little metal hook or knife and start to pry the mesh away from the plastic. I'm pretty sure the mesh is just jammed in there with some black goop that holds them into the plastic surround. once you pop off the mesh, you'll have screws you can access to remove the rest.

I started by upgrading to just the 4 kickers. it was an improvement and worked decent for a first step. Later I decided I wanted more than then went to the 6pack. but you can certainly do a phased approach and it won't hurt anything. I had to move my tweeter to the side of the horn for depth.

A pic when I had the four:
    Last edited by trayson; 06-06-2016 at 12:42 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

To throw a little something out, I have the Krypt hlcd 6.5 and love them. I've had them for 2 years and they sound great for both surf and wakeboarding. I am using a kicker 450.2 to push them and am very happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I installed a 4-pack KMS67 during the winter and have been pretty happy with them so far. I also added a JL Audio CL‑RLC so I can control the tower volume from the drivers seat.
    I wanted to keep my Roswell speaker bar and had to do some minor cutting to get the mid-bass drivers to fit.

Unfortunately I can't post pictures or links yet....
    2006 Moomba XLV
    Indmar 325 MPI - Acme 1433
    1,100lb V-drive sacs + 1,180lb front
    WakeMAKERS Ballast System Upgrade
    DIY SuckGate
    PerfectPass DBW

Quote Originally Posted by zd215 View Post
    I installed a 4-pack KMS67 during the winter and have been pretty happy with them so far. I also added a JL Audio CL‑RLC so I can control the tower volume from the drivers seat.
    I wanted to keep my Roswell speaker bar and had to do some minor cutting to get the mid-bass drivers to fit.

Unfortunately I can't post pictures or links yet....
    5 more posts and you'll be able to. Look forward to seeing your XLV!!
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Packrider,

The only other option is going to be 2 pair of 6.5" HLCD. Read what David posted about lack of mid-bass. Going with 2 pair of 6.5" HLCD is going to be twice as "bright" as the Kicker KMS67 setup because it consist of 2 more compression drivers.

The other thing to consider, is that Kicker dropped the extra mids, so finding them may be a challenge. Likely could be found through some online clearing house.