Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default water in the bilge

ok so tonight I take my 2004 out for the 2nd time... just bought a mobius 2004 lsv.

Here is my concern or question? It seems like I am getting a large amount of water in the bilge. I was just running and water started to come out of my bilge line? I did not turn my bilge on.... then I was like ... ok lets turn it on and see? more water... ran it until it would not run again...

then a little bit later it did it again? I pulled the plug in the back of the boat when I pulled out of the lake and it took like 5 min to drain? is this normal... this is my first V drive?

thanks.
    07 LSV
    Bikinis, tankinis, martinis
    No weenies

Default Replying to Topic 'water in the bilge'

Probably the packing nut on the drive shaft. Since it is a 2004 there is probably room to tighten it som more. Search this MSg Board for Pack, Jam, Nut.

I recently repacked my 99 Movius without removing the drive shaft. Pretty easy really. Not sure if V-Drive is as simple ...

Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Yep probably the shaft packing. If that's not it though, check the exhaust lines inside the engine compartment and the ballast plumbing.

Yep, I just tightened the packing nut tonight after two years. Half hour to take the parts off to get to the nut and 20 seconds to adjust.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

At least take time to find out where the water is comming from. We had a major leak when one of the screws holding the wake plate on had fallen out. We also had a loose ballast fill line that dumped water in the bildge. All of this on a 2006 boat. Both were easy to fix once they were discovered.

Good Luck

I agree w/ Pacs - you will need to get this on the water, open every possible cover and look w/ your own eyes. Water entry is bad, but it is usually easy to locate the source if you are paitent. Pull the back seat forward, and open the v-drive cover - that will give you a direction into the bildge pump, so you can trace it back.

Good luck,

Joe

thanks guys... I was not sure really where to start. my initial thoughts where something with the drive shaft... since its the only item penetrating the hull in the water besides water intakes and speedometer. I have checked all the rest... like wake plate and ballast lines ext...

I figured not a ballast issue... I had not touched the ballast system when this all started. so did not pump any water on board... just started running on the lake?

will see if I can find any posts like you mention on how to do this...
    07 LSV
    No weenies

Has the boat ever overheated. Any possible way it is leaking thru a cracked exhaust.

Other than the shaft packing not being tight that is the only other thing I can think of.

Since you have not used the ballast is the thru hule ballast cut off switch in place.

db

Ok one last question? What is recommended to repack? grease type? And what is the best procedure... just do it on the trailer from the under side? I assume this is where the nut is after reading? Channel locks used from reading one post? Or would you reccomend repacking and tighten? I guess what I am saying is this... I want to get it right the first time... or at least stoped the first time... taking it out tommorow night again and if this is the cuprit want to verify that its fixed? or at least off the list?
    07 LSV
    No weenies

hard to say if it has been over heated? I actually live in utah... but bought this boat from a gentlemen in texas. It only has 56 hours on the boat... and I dont know the history? I would have to assume no? Its in great shape, and I would assume he took great care of it.... I had to drive it 1200 miles to get it home, and wonder if that is part of the v-drive nut being loosened, the highway is not a kind place? I did look at the motor running and did not see any water comming from the exhaust or manufold.
    07 LSV
    No weenies