Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default material for amp and subwoofer trim panels?

I've seen it a lot in boat audio installations where there's a trim panel that's used. for example, I have a carpeted trim panel in front of my subwoofer box that's wrapped in carpet. I've seen people likewise build a trim panel and then wrap it in vinyl and cut out holes in it for the faces of their amps.

What material am I looking for if I wanted to build a trim panel? I'd think it'd need to be thin and not susceptible to water. Stuff like acryllic or hdpe would be too expensive. and it seems way more rigid than what I remember being on my subwoofer trim panel. I know there's got to be a "go to" material, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I use Starboard, 1/4" is relatively cheap.

In the past I've used 1/4 birch, like from Home Depot, but but the time you coat it with truck bed liner or similar, yada yada it's still not waterproof. Starboard is just so easy.
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    I use Starboard, 1/4" is relatively cheap.

In the past I've used 1/4 birch, like from Home Depot, but but the time you coat it with truck bed liner or similar, yada yada it's still not waterproof. Starboard is just so easy.
    interesting. starboard is just a brand name of HDPE if I remember right. Yeah, it's easy to work with. I used it for various projects on my boats.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Correcto-mundo, sir!

I've had great much buying scrap pieces from a plastics supplier.
    2013 Outback V

KingStarboard is just one form of HDPE. But there are many types and grades of HDPE. KS is usually denser and used for visible applications because you can polish the edges to a gloss finish (ie: dash panels, hatches), which is not possible with a more porous HDPE. KS will be more expensive. You won't have any luck gluing or painting KS. In concealed applications, boat builders use HDPE versus KS. HDPE would be my choice for amplifier panels, and any other panel in which I am adhering carpet or vinyl.
    The other very good option is a resin-coated cabinet-grade birch ply. If it's slightly spaced off the sole, it should last indefinitely.
    I like 0.75" thick for most amp panel applications because it provides more screw depth. Thinner 0.50" is usually used on subwoofer cover facades.
    Just no water-based MDF (even when treated) for these purposes. Although there are solvent-based composite materials such as Medex, Norboard, MDO, Extira, and more, that will be just as viable as a birch ply. I would still resin-coat.

David mentioned our route above ... Dusty used a thin sheet of trimmed birch ply, laid over a sheet of plexi-glass for our amp rack covers.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Stuff like acryllic or hdpe would be too expensive
    Not really, heres why. Wood needs to be sealed with a quality 2-part epoxy. This takes a couple coats at least, to get a good coat, especially on the cut edges that really soak up the stuff. This also takes time to prep, mix, coat, clean up. Add those to the cost of a good quality ply and the ft2 cost is right there with HDPE. Cut and test fit and its ready for the carpet.

I've had good luck buying scrap parts of hdpe or ks. most plastic shops I have been to have scraps laying around for sale and if you are covering in carpet, color doesn't matter.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

It can be bought on Amazon for decent prices as well.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I've had good luck buying scrap parts of hdpe or ks. most plastic shops I have been to have scraps laying around for sale and if you are covering in carpet, color doesn't matter.
    Even though it may not show, just knowing that there is magenta HDPE behind the gray carpet would still bother me.