Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just curious if you figured out what caused your stereo whining noise problem. I posted a separate thread yesterday that is very similar to yours. I have the same high-pitched whining noise with the engine running in my 2013 Mobius LSV with a factory stereo setup. When the engine is off I can get sound from all speakers, but at any volume level above about 35 on the Sony receiver the sound is very distorted.

I've checked all connections and grounds and they appear good. Everything was working last fall when the boat was winterized. I'm thinking it's a bad receiver that may have been affected by having the boat on the battery maintainer over the winter. The only other potential was something was knocked loose when the boat was detailed last month.

Please provide an update on your situation when able. Thanx!
    2013 Mobius LSV - 330hp Indmar Assault FI

Quote Originally Posted by rje-3 View Post
    Just curious if you figured out what caused your stereo whining noise problem. I posted a separate thread yesterday that is very similar to yours. I have the same high-pitched whining noise with the engine running in my 2013 Mobius LSV with a factory stereo setup. When the engine is off I can get sound from all speakers, but at any volume level above about 35 on the Sony receiver the sound is very distorted.

I've checked all connections and grounds and they appear good. Everything was working last fall when the boat was winterized. I'm thinking it's a bad receiver that may have been affected by having the boat on the battery maintainer over the winter. The only other potential was something was knocked loose when the boat was detailed last month.

On that Sony radio, the max head unit volume is 50 if I am not mistaken. 35 out of 50 is going to be your typical max distortion-free volume for most modern program material, (music). If you dig around for threads that talk about tuning and setting up gains, you will always fine that in every one of them, the instructions are to set the radio to about 75 percent of max volume. That is generally considered the max threshold for any head unit and the place where it can and will start to clip the signal causing distortion.

What you are experiencing with that Sony unit is completely normal. Are your bass and treble turned up on the head unit? IF so, it is even more likely you will experience distortion above 35.

FYI

Phil
    Kicker
    Last edited by philwsailz; 05-31-2016 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by philwsailz View Post
    On that Sony radio, the max head unit volume is 50 if I am not mistaken. 35 out of 50 is going to be your typical max distortion-free volume for most modern program material, (music). If you dig around for threads that talk about tuning and setting up gains, you will always fine that in every one of them, the instructions are to set the radio to about 75 percent of max volume. That is generally considered the max threshold for any head unit and the place where it can and will start to clip the signal causing distortion.

What you are experiencing with that Sony unit is completely normal. Are your bass and treble turned up on the head unit? IF so, it is even more likely you will experience distortion above 35.

FYI

Phil
    Kicker
    Thanks. The distortion starts between 30-35 on the volume control. I didn't check the max volume setting, but will when I can. At the undistorted level of 30-35, the sound is barely loud enough to hear anything in the boat. If 50 is the max, then it's likely the amplifier section of the Sony receiver is not working as the sound is very weak. I did also check bass and treble levels and ensured they were set to 0. In addition, the volume setting would not explain the fact I get no music at any volume setting when the engine is running, only a constant level whining noise from all speakers.

I had the same problem last summer after upgrading. I spent quite a few weekends chasing it around. I redid the grounds, removed the head unit and the ZLD from the setup and still had the problem. If I connected my iPhone directly to the amp the whine went away. BTW if you connect an iPhone directly to the amp make sure you have the volume turned all the way down on the phone and go up from there. Holy crap I'm pretty sure I woke all the neighbors. When I did this I had no whine so this pointed to everything upstream of the amp. After doing all of this and trying to isolate my RCA cables away from a bit of noise under the dash, the same noise that is being talked about in this https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....gh-pitch-whine , with no luck I replaced the RCA cables I was using and the noise went away. FYI I also tried the ground loop isolators with no love.

It's a really frustrating problem, good luck.
    2015 Mobius LSV
    2014 Formula 350 CBR

All power needs to come from the same point. All ground needs to come from the same point. IF your radio and any processor devices, (EQ, zone control, etc.) are getting power from the helm B+ or ground you WILL induce noise.

Most boats come with the amps wired straight to the battery, and the head units wired to helm power. This is where 99% of any whine comes from, and boat builders continue to do it this way as it is just easier. Move head unit power off of the helm wiring, (both power and ground) and re-wire them to the same battery your amp(s) are connected to, or better yet, to the amplifiers' power distribution block. Use a switch on the radio's red power wire to turn the whole system on and off. This is the right way to do it. For any system, pretty much the very first thing anybody should do is to go straight to the head unit and re-wire the power connections. This is FIRST. Then any accessory items need to be wired up the same way. All power for all audio components from a single point.

People routinely try to implement various bandaids, in an effort to fix a problem elsewhere. Ground loop isolators go on the RCA cables, to "fix" a problem with the power wiring. Why not jsut fix the power wiring?

The other factor that amplifies, (pardon the pun) the noise, clicking, fuel pump whine, etc is gains set too high. Setting your gains as low as possible while still retaining the ability to drive the amps to max clean power is key to a quiet system.

All the extra gizmos out there, ground loop isolators as an example, only mask the problems. They don't make them go away.

Quick little rant....

Phil
    Kicker

Quote Originally Posted by rje-3 View Post

He hasn't got around to it yet ... the Sony head unit was actually defective so I am getting a new one under warranty. Should be here this week then we will do the adjustments. I was hoping to just buy a new HU but as it turns out the new HU's don't communicate with the factory remote ... so I would have had to replace that as well.
    2014 Black/White Mojo
    345HP Surf Motor
    1235 Prop
    Autoflow 2.0 Upgrade
    1100# FlyHigh Rears
    650# IBS
    4 x Exile SXT9q's w/ Exile 30.2 amp and Exile ZLD controller
    Exile Javelin Amp
    10" Rockford sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackcup View Post
    He hasn't got around to it yet ... the Sony head unit was actually defective so I am getting a new one under warranty. Should be here this week then we will do the adjustments. I was hoping to just buy a new HU but as it turns out the new HU's don't communicate with the factory remote ... so I would have had to replace that as well.
    Sounds familiar. My tech is telling me that the Sony HU is probably defective and that model of Sony is no longer sold. You can buy a used/refurbished Sony HU that would be an easy swap, but come with lots of risk for $100-$150. Replacing it with a new Sony HU will require re-wiring (different inputs on back) and a new power configuration (15a vs 10a). Plus, the new Sony HUs won't power the Sony Remote Commanders (I have 2), but they said the buttons might work. That would render the LCD on the remotes useless. Replacing the Sony HU with any other brand requires the remotes to be replaced as well, at probably $150 each. I'm still working on a solution that won't cost me $500-$1000 just to get the system working again. The only good news is that for whatever I do have to spend, I will get bluetooth capability with either a newer Sony or other brand HU.

RJE-3

Check your inbox

I rewired my entire audio system this past winter. All power and grounds for audio now terminate to the same blocks and/or relays.
    This has eliminated all of my noise problems including the nasty pops and whines when moving my wake plate.

In my experience, ground loop isolators decrease the audio quality, it made things sound very flat.
    2006 Moomba XLV
    Indmar 325 MPI - Acme 1433
    1,100lb V-drive sacs + 1,180lb front
    WakeMAKERS Ballast System Upgrade
    DIY SuckGate
    PerfectPass DBW

FWIW, my whining and lack of sound with the engine running was traced to a bad Kicker Remote Volume Control Module. This is the module that plugs in near the receiver head unit and has wires running out to the remote volume controls, usually installed near the helm. Once that unit was replaced, everything works fine.