Thread: Wiring issues.

Default Wiring issues.

So I rewired my perko switch to the correct way (all accessories and starter wire going to center post, each battery to their own post) But now the switchblade fuse for the helm shows its tripped and stays tripped even if i move the "switchblade" but I am still getting power to everything somehow? very confused. also if I turn on the blower it trips the push button breaker for it too and flickers the stereo. Turning on my nav lights also flickers the stereo lights. Cant figure it out.
    2005 Outback LSV-Assault 325

If the system still works but the breaker is tripped it could be that you wired two separate circuits together or something is touching to make it happen. Otherwise it could be a bad breaker or switch. Swap with another breaker.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

if the breaker was bad it would allow current to run through it?? boat starts and everything works but its tripped. this is the breaker I'm talking about thats tripped. http://www.amazon.com/MinnKota-MKR-1...ds=marine+fuse

Most likely not but is possible. Something is letting current through. You can disconnect the output side on the breaker and measure it on a meter to ground and see what is going on.
    With the output wire off of the breaker measure that to ground also and see if there is any current when it is disconnected from the breaker.
    Last edited by 5:00; 05-19-2016 at 03:37 PM.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    1,180 in front
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Use your voltmeter and ammeter to trace the source. The 60A is more than likely operating correctly which means you have probably a ground fault on that circuit. You may have a ground wire on the hot leads so each individual conductors needs to lifted and tested and verified the components operate correctly. Then land on the correct terminal. Don't trust color coding of the wires. Label each wire and draw out a wiring diagram so you can understand what each wire does. You can draw a wiring diagram beforehand to what you want it to look like when done and work to that. It is important that the individual circuits are working correctly before landing the terminals and moving to the next wire. Use a jumper and verify no current with the ground lifted and then connect the ground and operate the device. Every ground needs to be tied together with tested jumpers. Your meter is your friend and will tell you everything and when you get done it will be your bff.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

So if I disconnect the breaker from power nothing works. So that would leave me to believe that the breaker is letting current through even though its tripped and I'm not getting power from something else correct? I'll check some stuff with the volt meter tomorrow. But I'm thinking it's just a bad breaker and it's somehow letting current pass through. I rewired all wires with new hot leads and new grounds so I know I don't have anything backwards. The only existing wires I connected are the 0 gauge to the motor and the 6 gauge to the helm(with the breaker) I also forgot to mention the 6 gauge is tied into a distribution block with an 80 amp fuse so I'd assume the fuse would pop if I had a ground fault right? along with the 250 amp fuse on my 0/1 gauge from dist. block to the perko switch?

Thanks Guys!

You removed the cable after the breaker and nothing happens. With the breaker switched off there is power after the breaker. Sounds to me like it is the breaker. If you rewired everything however is is possible that there is something wrong otherwise. Best bet at this point is to test the breaker in the on and off position with a meter to start with. If it isn't that follow what zabooda wrote and you will find it. You can disconnect the main segments first and test them and move along from there.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    1,180 in front
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap