Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Hey, Texas guys...

I know of a strong regional bank with a presence in all of those markets
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

Heard an interesting tidbit about Houston today and wondering if it's true?
    A guy that lived there years ago said that there are no zoning laws? Said folks end up building nice homes only to find a few years later a huge ballpark or commercial complex being put up next door?

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Maybe this? "How No Zoning Laws Works For Houston" From May 13 online issue of The Federalist.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/05/13/...s-for-houston/
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Another big problem with Austin is the cost of living. Austin is very expensive due to a mass migration there by Californians. They sell their 1,000,000 3 bed room houses there and buy in Austin and think 300,000 for 2k sqft is a good deal and its really inflated the price in that area. My mom lives in pflugerville which is just North of Austin and a lot of people in their neighborhood have seen their homes go up in value so fast that they can no longer afford the property tax. It's a big problem in that area. People living in a house their whole life now having to sell and move because they taxes are bankrupting them.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Guess that's one way to look at making money

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    Another big problem with Austin is the cost of living. Austin is very expensive due to a mass migration there by Californians. They sell their 1,000,000 3 bed room houses there and buy in Austin and think 300,000 for 2k sqft is a good deal and its really inflated the price in that area. My mom lives in pflugerville which is just North of Austin and a lot of people in their neighborhood have seen their homes go up in value so fast that they can no longer afford the property tax. It's a big problem in that area. People living in a house their whole life now having to sell and move because they taxes are bankrupting them.

Big problem everywhere too. I held back from saying it so not to offend Californians on this site but they leave that state big in cash and short in brains. The other problem is they bring the California lifestyle with them and their liberal views. I like Texas a lot and I hate to see it ruined like they did in northern Idaho where the locals are now their servants. The housing bust is the best way to keep them from migrating.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    Big problem everywhere too. I held back from saying it so not to offend Californians on this site but they leave that state big in cash and short in brains. The other problem is they bring the California lifestyle with them and their liberal views. I like Texas a lot and I hate to see it ruined like they did in northern Idaho where the locals are now their servants. The housing bust is the best way to keep them from migrating.
    This x100! And they don't understand what it was that ruined California so they just keep on keeping on ruining everywhere else they go. Like in invasive species lol.

As far as Uber and Lyft go, I guess Austin would rather have the revenue from drunk driving tickets than give people an affordable option to get home after partying all day/night. SMH

Disclaimer: We know not ALL Californians are bad.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    As far as Uber and Lyft go, I guess Austin would rather have the revenue from drunk driving tickets than give people an affordable option to get home after partying all day/night. SMH
    To play devil's advocate, as I'm sure the goal isn't to increase drunk driving .... is it not fair that they have to follow the same regulations as taxi drivers?

I think as their popularity grows, the regulations will be modified but it's going to be something they have to contend with.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    Heard an interesting tidbit about Houston today and wondering if it's true?
    A guy that lived there years ago said that there are no zoning laws? Said folks end up building nice homes only to find a few years later a huge ballpark or commercial complex being put up next door?
    This is true. The only major city in the US without them. I have been here 54 years. Houston has always been growing. Property goes for market value, so if a stadium/building/shopping center is built. You are rewarded handsomely.

Btw, I dont like zoning, HOA's or any other technique to dictate what I can do with my land. Whatever the excuse.
    Last edited by Fastest1; 05-19-2016 at 01:39 PM.
    2008 Moomba Outback DD resurrection

Sorry I missed this thread, I've been traveling. Houston is great. I'm a native Houstonian, grew up in SW Houston and then lived for almost 20 years in Sugar Land a little further out on the SW side. We used to boat in the San Bernard river because we could be there in 45 minutes and rarely saw another boat. We recently moved North of San Antonio and love it. We are now 15 minutes from Canyon Lake and are out there usually twice a week.

We looked in the Austin area but it is just too congested and expensive (and liberal). Now I feel like I've got the best of both worlds because I can be in Austin in under an hour, in San Antonio in 25 minutes, on the lake in 15 minutes and I've got a couple of acres with a hill country view.

Great state, great people and cost of living is awesome.
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron