Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Outback listing to the right

I have a 02' Outback that when running the slalom course it lists to the right with a passenger in the spotter seat. Is this normal on the Outbacks? My Malibu Sportster and Gekko does not do this. It causes a double wake on the right because of the boat leaning to the right. I've tried different props. No change. Hull does not have any damage.

Default Replying to Topic 'Outback listing to the right'

So, just what do you weigh?

Is the boat new for you?

Has it always done this?

Have you loaded with lead and misplaced a bar or two?

Wake plate broken? Shaft bent? Fin bent?

Ah, no - it is not supposed to do that.

SD2
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

Myself and my friends, who do the slalom course, weigh about the same. 170 to 185 lbs. The 02 Outback was purchased this spring with low hours. Don't notice it listing to the right as much for trick or wakeboarding speeds of 19 to 22 mph or barefoot speeds of 39 and above. Just 30 to 36 mph. Gets annoying because a slight breeze going across the course causes the boat to move off course. Fins are straight.

Fins would be my first best guess since it should list less at higher speeds if it was a weight issue.

Does it float level?

Floats level. I took a 3 foot flat edge to the bottom of the hull while on the trailer. The only difference is right behind the curve of the front strakes, on the right side, is a 3/4" air gap. The pad is level. The fins look straight in line. On my Malibu the fins are offset by a little. Same with the Mastercraft Sportstar. Should the fins be offset on the Outback?

I do not see any damage to the hull except above the prop area where it appears that maybe the prop may have hit it. 1 1/2" size. Appears only the gel coat was repaired.

I'm a certified master tech and own a car and boat repair place the last 22 years. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks.

This sounds like a boat you just got in as a trade or purchased used. Any number of things in its history can do damage to a normal running hull.

Could the rudder or rudder shaft be slightly bent left causing the slight list when under speed?

The not at low speed, but yes at planing speed I get - I do not get how it can then re-correct itself at even higher speed ? Something is not right here.

?

Is the cooler full of beer on the right ?

I'd take a good quality long tube level out and set it on the rear deck.

My gut says rudder, previous major hull repair, or plain old ballast changes.

-J

Let me chime in here.

This used to be my boat. A little history on it. I bought it as a bank repo. I saw nothing wrong with it except the gel coat repair that Matt has already discussed.

It always did list at course speeds. Generally if I had someone in the observer seat it helped out a lot.

I just assumed this was normal due to the prop rotation. My fathers old 78 mc did the samething.

The only thing I can think of would be the tracking fins or you may need to load the rudder.

db

I'll check out the tracking fins and rudder when I get the boat back in town next week. It's at the lake garage now. The previous owner did tell me it was a bank repo. I did a quick check over on the hull before I purchased it and did not see anything out of the ordinary. Brian in tech support said it shouldn't list. The fins make the most sense since other tournament boat makers have the fins offset.

Thanks for your help.

Ok,

Another idea would be prop alighment such that the prop is pushing the boat over.

Sounds like a little prop object contact at some point in its history.

Could you find another one and both take a run and take measurements?

Can you (dare you) swap props with one of your other boats and see if either boat changes?

If it has prop history, then the drive shaft strut may be bent as well. Not sure if that could cause listing ...

Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off