Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Mooring Cover - Rope Upgrade to Webbing/Buckles?

Hello!

I'm hoping to upgrade the hook/loop system within the cover for my 08' Outback V. Where the cover wraps around the tower now, each small section (x2 for 3 tower mounting posts) has a rope that has a loop on one end, with a plastic hook on the other. When you put the cover on you snap the hook through a loop to make a continuous rope (sorta) around the entire hull. At the transom there is the standard rope ratchet.

As many with newer boats know, most mooring covers now use 1" nylon webbing with Buckles to go around the tower. SO QUICK & EASY!

Has anyone replaced the older style rope system with the buckles / webbing and a new ratchet?

The webbing and buckles are easy to find, and I'm fairly certain a standard 1" ratchet (hopefully with rubber or nylon to protect the gel coat just in case) would work, but I was hoping to poll the Moomba Forum audience and see if anyone has done this and had problems.

My main concern is using buckles that are not sewn in, and might loosen once you start to really tighten with the ratchet.

I also thought that I could get color coded buckles, so no matter how many "pops" friends have, they can still know which buckle connects to it's mating side.

Thanks Very much! Any help would be great!

-Dan
    Tower Speakers: Check
    Subwoofer: Check
    Added Battery and ACR: In but needs a lil' fixing

I'm interested in improving the mooring cover but don't understand what the newer boats have as you describe. Whatever it is, would it make more sense to just pay 800 or so and get a snap cover?
    2002 mobius LSV
    Lake Minnetonka, MN

I understand exactly what you're saying. I had the rope system on my 1992 Supra Sunsport.
    I had loops of rope, but the other end were more like the lobster clasps. so really just as quick as clipping a sidebuckle clip.

And I have the Moomba factory cover (made by great lakes boat tops) that has the nylon webbing. First off, I'm pretty sure that my webbing is thicker, more like 1.5" webbing with a lot bigger side buckle straps.

I think the color coding is unnecessary. the sidebuckle straps are so close to the mating side on each of the tower pole surrounds that I can't imagine a person not finding the match, no matter how lit they are.

Having owned both, I'll say that yes, the webbing with a ratchet strap on the back does get tighter than the rope. But I'm not sure it gets SO much tighter that it'd make a difference when the boat was sitting. Maybe if you wanted to tow with the cover on, then you could get the return on your investment.

As far as the straps loosening, as long as you fed the webbing through the side buckle clips correctly you'd probably be fine--especially if you got the little pieces that are meant to secure the tails coming off each clip like you can see in this picture:

Also, I would assume your current cover has a Velcro flap that wraps around the rope ratchet, right? My supra had that. On the Moomba cover, there's a similar flap, it just happens to be at the stern that wraps around the ratchet. it has a piece of plastic under the ratchet to further reinforce the cover so the metal ratchet isn't rubbing through the cover itself.

Honestly though, having owned both, I can't say that the webbing is really any quicker.
    Last edited by trayson; 05-12-2016 at 12:48 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Default Mooring Cover - Rope Upgrade to Webbing/Buckles?

Thanks for the quick feedback!
    I think I'll casually put the materials together and then upgrade once I get everything. My marina lost one of the sections of rope a while back so I'm missing one. Took a picture of the current clips.
    These are images of what I'd like to achieve from my pals newer Axis

Any ideas where to get the ratchet or side clip buckles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd call a cover mfg like Great Lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    I'd call a cover mfg like Great Lakes.
    True, great lakes might be able to whip up all you need for a reasonable price.

That said, if you're determined to assemble everything yourself, the ratcheting tie down straps are available everywhere, like home depot and harbor freight. I know they have side buckle clips at walmart (camping section has something). And plenty of options on ebay and amazon. Knowing that they're called "side buckle" helps in the online search.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Not much gained by going to straps and the ratchet is the only device to cinch it down. I use rope and inexpensive carabiners to connect the sides and tighten down the gunwale strap at the transom tie down. The straps are used to tie down to the trailer if needed. What does Evolution covers use? I've had to replace my rope once as that stuff won't outlast the cover fabric. One inch strap goes for about $1 a foot so your looking at $50 just for the strap. The ratchet stays attached on one end so you will always know which end is the back side and that is the end you avoid banging against the gel coat. You can't strap down too tight or you break the plastic clips so it would be just to get it snug.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Default Mooring Cover - Rope Upgrade to Webbing/Buckles?

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    Not much gained by going to straps and the ratchet is the only device to cinch it down. I use rope and inexpensive carabiners to connect the sides and tighten down the gunwale strap at the transom tie down. The straps are used to tie down to the trailer if needed. What does Evolution covers use? I've had to replace my rope once as that stuff won't outlast the cover fabric. One inch strap goes for about $1 a foot so your looking at $50 just for the strap. The ratchet stays attached on one end so you will always know which end is the back side and that is the end you avoid banging against the gel coat. You can't strap down too tight or you break the plastic clips so it would be just to get it snug.
    I actually only NEED to replace one short section with a clip. Where did you buy plastic clips that won't scratch the gel coat if they accidentally bang against it?

plastic clips are plastic clips. The ones on my factory Moomba cover aren't anything special. however, they do have Velcro that wraps around each side of the cover where the webbing terminates to a clip. so in theory, the clip is on top of fabric. For what it's worth, I think the clips on my factory cover are bigger clips, probably around 2".
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI