Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mondo stereo make over, have some questions (battery and wiring)

I am adding (2) 6v batteries for my (new) stereo bank. Along with that, I am adding an Exile Javelin for my cabins and new sub and keeping one of my 800.4's for the towers. So I am basically re-wiring everything with a new dual switch (no ACR). I thought I had it all figured out then realized I am not sure. My question is ....do I need to have an inline fuse between the com post of the battery switch and the distribution block I am putting in (I was planning on the block being fused as well). I will be running new 1/0 cables with a single 1/0 in 4ga out distribution block. At first I was planning on just using the fused block with mANL fuses to match the fuses of the amps but I keep seeing others using an inline fuse on the 1/0 line from the battery switch to the block. Do i need both fused, or just one or the other. Other than that, I think I have it all figured out. Also, the Javelin has (3) 40a fuses and the 800.4 has (2) 30's, so I would be a total of one 180a fuse on the inline and a 120 and 60 on the distribution block?

With that said, anyone looking to switch to 6v golf cart batteries, Rural King (if you have one near you) sells their branded Exide battery for $79. It's not got quite the advertised spec of the Interstates, but it's damn close and Exide makes a great battery. At that price you can buy two for about $30 more than one Interstate or USbattery.

Thanks for the help. I thought I was going to be able to do this just on research and reading, but not so much.
    2014 Mondo
    2013 Yamaha AR192.... Long gone

No need to fuse the 1/0 inline wire.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Quote Originally Posted by jstenger View Post
    No need to fuse the 1/0 inline wire.
    Thanks, guess I didn't need to create a new thread for this. Maybe I will just make this my upgrade thread LOL
    2014 Mondo

Absolutely need to have some form of trunk line circuit protection, unless the fused distro block is within 6" of the battery switch. This main circuit protection prevents that 1/0 trunk line from becoming a hot molten sparking red glowing fire starter when your landlubber brother-in-law tosses the anchor in there and shorts the ground and B+.

Ok....so a fuse on the "trunk" line going from the battery switch to the block. What size fuse.....the same as total of both amps or a little larger?
    2014 Mondo

The sum of the amp fuses would be the max, but dont exceed the capacity of the cable.

^^^^^Yup. What he said^^^^^

Phil
    Kicker

Been busy at work, but things have been starting to arrive. Didn't get much of anything done tonight, but was able to remove the stock battery and box and at least test fit the new ones. I am really happy the new box and batteries fit. Thanks to @NewGuy.
    Untitled by Nozzleman216, on Flickr
    2014 Mondo

Looking good, I'm almost done with mine also and I didn't use a inline fuse, but I'm also only running a dual battery setup with the ACR and voltage relay. Will try and post some pics and a how to after returning from vacation.
    2011 Supra 21V
    2012 Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    Wetsounds Icon8's

A little more progress yesterday. It was a great day spent with my Dad building my enclosure. Sometimes as we get older, we forget these father / son moments. Had a few cold ones as well!! Also, think I am going to use black carpet instead of gray. For one, I have black marine carpet already from a past project. Once I test fit it in the boat, I think it looks nice. Plus, if the grays didn't match, it would drive me crazy LOL

by Nozzleman216, on Flickr
    2014 Mondo