Default Help with equalizer/head unit

Started having radio issues end of last summer. In rough water radio would just shut off and come on repeatedly. When this happens would notice the lights on the Wet Sounds Equalizer would shut on and off also. Started by checking all connections and re doing any that were in question. This didn't help. So next outing water was chopping and it started again, while it was doing this opened glove box to find kenwood head unit was shutting on and off. After trying several things found that the removable face plate has enough slop in it that when water gets rough it moves around on head unit causing it to shut on and off. Before buying another head unit that i have NEVER used I was curious of other options. All I use is a audio cord plugged directly into back of equalizer to iphone so i can control everything from drivers seat. Is there a way to when i switch the radio knob on that only the equalizer powers up and the head unit doesn't need to be hooked up? I'm sure i will need power and remote wire to come into play somewhere. What are the pros and cons of this for anyone that has done it or what is the best solution for the fix.

Thanks,

Most likely ....

You need to remove the remote wire on the eq away from the head unit.

Current remote wire: switch, head unit, 420

Needed remote wire: switch to 420.

Follow your remote head unit wire until it ties into a factory cluster ... that is where your Ws420 remote wire needs to go.

Fwiw, I added a jl Bluetooth dongle in the last boat ... for 40 bucks I can't imagine ever going back to a wire.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Agree, it's easy to take the head unit out of the equation for supply of the remote turn on lead voltage. The remote turn on has to go to the 420 and also to your amps. That can be supplied by a switch (I did this on my last boat for a while). I really like the Exile media center controller. it will supply the 12v remote turn on lead and give you Bluetooth and a wired aux input both. 90% of the time I don't even turn the on the power to my headunit. My Exile BT controller gives that remote signal to power on my 420 and my amps.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com