Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering

Default Steering

Is it normal to need some strength to turn the wheel when the boat is in motion, like pulling a tube or something like that? Or does that mean the steering cable is a little stiff and about to break? Thanks.
    Jonathan And Andrea Smith

Default Replying to Topic 'Steering'

What model and year ? They have changed steering mechanics over the years and each has it's own quirks.

If we talk physics alone - then the faster you travel, the harder it will get to steer. Going 4 mph in a no wake zone, the wheel will spin with your pinky finger, going 44, and you will have to use both hands... well want too as well It should never require "force" though. It should always feel smooth. Anytime it feels jerky or like it is binding, then free - that is the easy sign to a problem.

-J

99 Moomba Outback LS, and it doesn't feel jerky, just needs a little strength to turn the wheel, probably around 20-25 MPH.
    Jonathan And Andrea Smith

I have a 99 Mobius and the steering takes a little more effort than my I/O did because the I/Os have power steering. I did notice a clunking noise when I turned all the way in one direction (I can't remember which way) which tells me I need to try and lube the cable at the rudder end. I have to lift the floor to do that but then I will see what they used for lube and add some more. Probably some type of grease. If you try that, it may help.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Default Steering cable lube

Anyone have any idea on just lubing the cable and not replacing it?

I searched the forum, but had no luck. Steering is a bit stiff the past few seasons.

Thanks

99 Outback LS

I have a 99 outback and there is a zerk fitting (grease gun needed) on the top of the rudder where the steering cable meets up.

Quote Originally Posted by polar21 View Post
    I have a 99 outback and there is a zerk fitting (grease gun needed) on the top of the rudder where the steering cable meets up.
    I grease that every year, but was wondering about the rest of the cable from the wheel back.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.

I wouldnt think that area would need any grease as it would come greased up from the factory and the grease would stay in the sleeve for a long time.

I know I saw a thread on here somewhere where somebody was lubing their steering cable. Have to take a look.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Default Steering tight

I always check the ball joint connection and tighten that every year since It popped out several years back during a run. Steering went out at 36. Not a good feeling for the driver.
    We limped back to the dock with me manually moving the rudder every so often. (Engine off, safety first!)

I may get one more year out of it and then rplace the line if I keep the boat.

Thanks everyone for all your help.