Default Help with amp install?

Hey guys ... I have done some reading on google but haven't really come up with too much. I read the manual but this stuff has baffled me for years!!

I am looking for help on installing my JL M400/4 amp in my Mojo. I currently have the 4 x factory Kickers in the cockpit and I have added 2 x JL MX650s up in the bow.

The existing amp that is there now (powering the 4 kickers) is the stock 300.2. So I will be removing the Kicker amp and replacing directly with the JL M400.

I am a total newbie when it comes to mobile audio and amps so if anyone could point me to a good install guide or could post it out here that would be amazing

Thanks
    2014 Black/White Mojo
    345HP Surf Motor
    1235 Prop
    Autoflow 2.0 Upgrade
    1100# FlyHigh Rears
    650# IBS
    4 x Exile SXT9q's w/ Exile 30.2 amp and Exile ZLD controller
    Exile Javelin Amp
    10" Rockford sub

The old amp will have 4 pairs of speaker wires going to it. the new amp will have an 1/2 side and a 3/4 side. Connect both of the existing left positive and Left negative to the Channel 1 positive on the new amp. Do the same with the right side to channel 2. That will have all 4 of your cabin speakers powered by one side of the new amp. Run the new wires from the bow speakers to the 3 and 4 side of the new amp.

Then you'll want to set up the gains (input sensitivity) for this, crank up your head unit to around 80% of max then turn up the amp gain until the speakers start to distort, then back them off. You'll also want to balance the gain between the bow and cabins so the volume of the bow relative to the cabins sound balanced.

Set the crossover (filter mode) switch on the new amp to high pass (HP) for both 1/2 and 3/4 sides. turn the dial probably around 100 or so as a starting point. that will keep the lowest frequencies from your cabins and bow speakers.

I assume you only have 1 pair of RCA inputs to your existing amp. if so, then set the swtich on the new amp to "sum" the preouts.

your amp has a remote level control. it allows you to control the level of the amp with a spin of the dial. usually it's used to control the level of the sub seperately from the rest of your system. Since you're using the amp for in boat speakers, you probably don't even need to hook up the remote. But if you really wanted to, I guess you could use it as a way to fade out the bow speakers or something like that.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    The old amp will have 4 pairs of speaker wires going to it. the new amp will have an 1/2 side and a 3/4 side. Connect both of the existing left positive and Left negative to the Channel 1 positive on the new amp. Do the same with the right side to channel 2. That will have all 4 of your cabin speakers powered by one side of the new amp. Run the new wires from the bow speakers to the 3 and 4 side of the new amp.

Then you'll want to set up the gains (input sensitivity) for this, crank up your head unit to around 80% of max then turn up the amp gain until the speakers start to distort, then back them off. You'll also want to balance the gain between the bow and cabins so the volume of the bow relative to the cabins sound balanced.

Set the crossover (filter mode) switch on the new amp to high pass (HP) for both 1/2 and 3/4 sides. turn the dial probably around 100 or so as a starting point. that will keep the lowest frequencies from your cabins and bow speakers.

I assume you only have 1 pair of RCA inputs to your existing amp. if so, then set the swtich on the new amp to "sum" the preouts.

your amp has a remote level control. it allows you to control the level of the amp with a spin of the dial. usually it's used to control the level of the sub seperately from the rest of your system. Since you're using the amp for in boat speakers, you probably don't even need to hook up the remote. But if you really wanted to, I guess you could use it as a way to fade out the bow speakers or something like that.
    This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Trayson. I have the ZLD so I don't really see the need for the remote ...

Also will having the ZLD change up my install at all?
    2014 Black/White Mojo
    345HP Surf Motor
    1235 Prop
    Autoflow 2.0 Upgrade
    1100# FlyHigh Rears
    650# IBS
    4 x Exile SXT9q's w/ Exile 30.2 amp and Exile ZLD controller
    Exile Javelin Amp
    10" Rockford sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackcup View Post
    This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Trayson. I have the ZLD so I don't really see the need for the remote ...

Also will having the ZLD change up my install at all?
    No, it really doesn't change it. with the ZLD you likely already have your source unit volume at 75 to 80%. so when you're setting your input sensitivity you're cranking up the volume on the ZLD rather than the source.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com