Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ws rev 10 amp?

Obviously I enjoy the subject of audio. So please indulge me in this. The above mono vs stereo discussion reminded me of the following subject.
    I've always been frustrated when the tower speaker mounting positions are greatly offset in the front to rear depth. Why does this matter?
    For example, if the speakers were to be offset by 2 feet, then from around 200 to 350 Hz you will have a progressive null in the response with a deeper cancellation centered at 275 Hz. And that is an area where you need all the lower midrange warmth that a tower speaker can give you. But it also smears the time alignment of all frequencies. That's a very real and audible form of distortion that sacrifices coherency. For instance, with two speakers staggered at 2 feet, at around 8 kHz, that very piercing area of the treble, one tweeter is propagating that frequency 15 times more than the other. Up until now, the tower dictates the speaker mounting positions and there was absolutely nothing you can do about it. Up until now. With Digital Signal Processing and the right amplifier channel make-up you can do total time correction.
    Also, with a horizontal array, by fanning out the speakers and using center to outside time delay, you can eliminate for the most part any off-axis time smear and comb filtering....that's when listening off-axis, the far left and far right speakers are at different distances from the listener perception point and tend to partially sum and cancel at various listening positions and at various frequencies.
    This solution can also greatly impact the subwoofer to tower speaker coherency, especially if you choose a particular focal point behind the boat based on the way you use the system.
    Many will say you can't get good sound quality in a boat. That's certainly true when on plane, with engine noise, wind noise, and the hull slapping against a little chop. But that is not the only scenario of how people listen to music on and around their boats. With a boat you definitely have some disadvantages. Like the fact that sound energy flash dissipates in open air. But with that comes certain advantages. On the flipside, in an open boat you have almost exclusively the incidental radiation, meaning the originating sound only and without interference from reflected energy. If you understand this, you can use it to your advantage, especially in the way you tune a boat system differently from a car system. In contrast, in an enclosed car, truck, or SUV cabin, there are six sides folded around you and your speakers. Yes, that definitely tends to preserve the sound pressure level, but it also creates as much reflected radiation as incidental radiation. And this causes problems with standing waves, both in positive-reinforcement and in negative-cancellations. Again, things that you are fortunate to avoid in an open boat.
    Just food for thought. There are others that are building these type systems today.

Wow you guys have went way above my head with all this I really just need someone to tell me which one to buy or look for and I'll do that. Yall are way more knowledgeable and in depth then I understand.

An amp like the JL 750/1 is truly a mono amp, so question there. An like the Wet Sounds SD-2 and Syn-2/Syn-DX2 are, are their core, 2 chnl stereo amp, same as the Arc KS600.2 and KS300.2. But even then, I still run them in mono for a tower setup. The Syn-4/DX4, SD-4 and SD-6 can be setup to run a pair of tower speakers in stereo, but again, I prefer to run them mono. Not many The SD-6 will also allow for bridged mono or stereo. Not many amps out there that will let you do with a pair of tower setups like these high end amp. Theres WAY more to it than just wattage.

At best, an amp like the PPi900.4, polk 4000.4, exile xm15.4 and xm30.2, Wet Sounds HT4, kicker KXM400.4 and KXM400.2 will let you run stereo, and thats if you bridge and configure the RCAs properly on the 4 chnls.

Theres nothing wrong with stereo on a tower setup, but as been noted, when off axis, like surfing, you are getting most of your music from that one speaker thats closest to you. In a stereo setup, you are missing some content. Mono lets you get it all. A high end that runs mono properly, can make a tower setup just that much better sounding.

Default Ws rev 10 amp?

Quote Originally Posted by Cjackson1123 View Post
    Wow you guys have went way above my head with all this I really just need someone to tell me which one to buy or look for and I'll do that. Yall are way more knowledgeable and in depth then I understand.
    JL HD 750/1, best setup I ever had. I didn't get there overnight if you know what I mean. I wasted some money along the way. I bought all my JL HD amps on ebay far below retail, even bought one in non woking condition knowing JL Audio can rebuild them for $180. But you have many many options. And obviously my methods assume some risk as to no warranties and not using authorized dealers. PM me for info on other brands/retailers if you want. I'm not looking to get ripped by everyone for my opinions/practices but I've had great experiences with many brands and suppliers I'm willing to share privately.
    -Jake

Thanks beat really appreciate the info.

Default Ws rev 10 amp?

Quote Originally Posted by Cjackson1123 View Post
    Thanks beat really appreciate the info.
    What's your tow rig? I've seen an ecoboost guy with the same handle.
    -Jake

Nissan titan.

David or MLA.. To clarify, can you get mono out of a syn 4 bridged to a pair of Rev 10's and everything be all good?

I ran 2 pairs of rev10's off dual syn 4's, each bridged, on the last boat. I thought it was a great setup and has each 10 getting 400 watts.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by FlatLander7 View Post
    David or MLA.. To clarify, can you get mono out of a syn 4 bridged to a pair of Rev 10's and everything be all good?
    yes, sure can