Default Prime water pump

Sooooo. This is a bit of an embarrassing question. I am new to inboards- last year with the purchase of my new OBV.
    Dealer winterized it, and I'm getting it ready to go in today and looking at dealer notes/
    "Remove hose marked with orange zip tie and prime with water. Reattach hose"
    Found the hose... How much water? How do I deliver it to this hose? Hose and funnel? Watering can?
    Thanks... Sorry for the newb question.
    No matter how I word my question, Google is not helping me.
    2015 Outback V

I am curious what hose they marked. I have never primed before going out from a winter layout. I would start at home with a water hose and adapter to the vdrive inlet, sometimes. Did the dealer put RV antifreeze in for the winter layout? Maybe to flush it out before hitting the lake.
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

Default Prime water pump

Some may disagree, but I have never 'primed' the water pump. Provided all the plumbing is tightened, etc, you should be good to put her in the water and fire it up. The pump will suck water in. Personally, I run my boat in the driveway with a fake-a-lake as part of my de-winterizing. That way I can verify that water is running through the entire system and see it dumping out the exhaust.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Default Prime water pump

Thanks. With the "fake a lake" reference I'm getting all sorts of results on Google now! Too bad it's Sunday and I have no marine places near me
    2015 Outback V

Default Prime water pump

Quote Originally Posted by mcdye View Post
    I am curious what hose they marked. I have never primed before going out from a winter layout. I would start at home with a water hose and adapter to the vdrive inlet, sometimes. Did the dealer put RV antifreeze in for the winter layout? Maybe to flush it out before hitting the lake.
    I'll grab a pic or two shortly
    2015 Outback V

Default Prime water pump

2015 Outback V

Default Prime water pump

I see no need to do what they are suggesting. Got a hardware store? Make your own fake-a-lake. It's just a toilet plunger and a hose adapter...
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Default Re: Prime water pump

Yep.. You would have to prime it every time you used the boat.. Lol
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Default Prime water pump

Fake A Lake coming Tuesday. My last boat was an I/O and I always used the muffs before I put it in to make sure water was circulating. $18 Amazon. Works for me. Thanks for the input.
    Installed my flip up seat in the meantime. That'll stop the dead leg.
    2015 Outback V

Default Prime water pump

I run mine out of a 5 gallon bucket. Water hose going in, 1 1/4" going to the intake. It is amazing how much water the boat sucks in if you bump the throttle.

Note that even at idle, the boat will suck in what your water hose pushes out at full on.
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)