Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'd think 75-100 as billable shop rate.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Is that a for a sealed box? Wood, waterproofed, etc?
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    Is that a for a sealed box? Wood, waterproofed, etc?
    Ported. Waterproof.
    2017 Supra SA

Default Cost for sub installation

Lol $200 isn't off. I guess I read it wrong. Figured he was gonna buy a prefab box. Custom boxes are a rip imo when you can buy pre-fab even on Sonic electronix for relatively cheap shipped and get close to the same sound. Boats aren't SPL machines, so custom jibber jabber isn't necessary. I built mine out of 3/4 Mdf, ported and coated for less then $50. Can buy pre fab for same easily. Install is straight forward to any stereo guy, whether it's boat, car, or even home. If they won't give you a deal, go elsewhere. Shit even look on Craigslist. There are plenty of installers who worked at a lot of these shops that went on their own to make more money and their own hours. They will come to you and save you doh.

Me personally I don't pay anyone to do anything. I work hard for my money and don't like to waste it on things I can do myself or things that I can easily watch a tutorial. I'm a jack of all trades kind of guy, but I also hate seeing people who look like they have money get taken just because they have nice things.

No way it's worth a G. Shit if you lived by me I would do it for $100 and beer on the side. Because I love to do it, can bullshit about boats, and I get to help out another brother in boating community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 LSV Red/White

1100lb upgrades in each rear locker!
    Stock 500 Bow ballast
    650IBS
    Manual Flow equipped

Boards
    Hyperlite Hi-Fi "The Illest"
    CWB AMG Carbon
    Phase 5 Razz
    Byerly Volt
    4.6 Ronix Koal Fish
    Phase Five Scamp (kiddos)

I agree a DIY is much cheaper and the price of having a sub enclosure put in a boat is ridiculous.

However, there is no chance these two sound the same ....

2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Agreed. A pre-fab box isn't built or tuned specific for any particular sub. Nor is it built with the exact dimensions for the space available. The floor can be uneven or location can require funky angles to get a perfect fit. Can a prefab square box work in some, probably. But most likely built out of MDF (worst choice in marine imo). A custom box done right will utilize marine grade birch or similar. Also ported enclosure should be sealed on the inside as well because moisture WILL get in. Just my .02 but custom box done right is heads/tails better than a pre-fab box any day of the week and will fetch a higher price tag.

That being said - DIY the right way can still save coin

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Thanks for all the help. Sounds like 3 to 5 hours at $75 to $100 per hour plus cost of box. Can't wait to pick it up and get to using.
    2017 Supra SA

I spent years in the audio industry, now retired, and am one of those people who is obsessed with the details and hyper-critical...in other words, I'm no bargain. I've had several vehicles professionally done in the past year. And I'm more than happy to have passed on the work to others even though I am more than capable of doing it myself. So I've been on both sides with both perspectives....business and consumer.
    I think these types of questions are impossible to accurately answer because you don't know all the details pertaining to the execution. A $1000 bill at one shop could be a total bargain, or a total rip-off at another shop. And we simply don't have enough information.

You will find that people with limited knowledge of anything will tend to simplify any process and that forms their personal opinion of the value.
    In contrast, those with considerably more knowledge and experience will consider many additional elements in their assessment of value. The difference in perception between a first-time consumer and a well-initiated consumer is vast. I'll gladly pay extra to get more. And I will absolutely avoid the cheapest because that means one thing 100% of the time.

Default Cost for sub installation

I would guess 4-5 hrs labor at 85/ hr plus box. That's a good price on a box for marine application btw. Especially ported. Let us know how it turns out!

Quote Originally Posted by icemanftr View Post
    Lol $200 isn't off. I guess I read it wrong. Figured he was gonna buy a prefab box. Custom boxes are a rip imo when you can buy pre-fab even on Sonic electronix for relatively cheap shipped and get close to the same sound. Boats aren't SPL machines, so custom jibber jabber isn't necessary. I built mine out of 3/4 Mdf, ported and coated for less then $50. Can buy pre fab for same easily. Install is straight forward to any stereo guy, whether it's boat, car, or even home. If they won't give you a deal, go elsewhere. Shit even look on Craigslist. There are plenty of installers who worked at a lot of these shops that went on their own to make more money and their own hours. They will come to you and save you doh.

Me personally I don't pay anyone to do anything. I work hard for my money and don't like to waste it on things I can do myself or things that I can easily watch a tutorial. I'm a jack of all trades kind of guy, but I also hate seeing people who look like they have money get taken just because they have nice things.

No way it's worth a G. Shit if you lived by me I would do it for $100 and beer on the side. Because I love to do it, can bullshit about boats, and I get to help out another brother in boating community.

Iceman I wish you were closer! We think alike and would enjoy a beer and sub install. The mojo was making sub enclosure pretty difficult without removing foot rest. I simply ran out of hours and needed to finish. Plus, I had already invested some nice change in gear and wanted it to sound the best it could. I am always a diy first but waived the white flag on this one.
    2017 Supra SA