Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cost for sub installation

I would like to hear thoughts on what some stereo work should cost. Currently boat has wires ran for sub, amps installed, sub already purchased, and towers good to go. The project is purchase of ported 12 inch sub box, installing that under helm, installing EQ, hooking the stuff up and tuning.

My question is how many hours and how much per hour would be reasonable? or would a stereo place charge by the job?
    2017 Supra SA

$200. Only a couple hours work. But being a boat I'm sure they will try and rip you off. Have a stereo bud come over and have cold beer on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 LSV Red/White

1100lb upgrades in each rear locker!
    Stock 500 Bow ballast
    650IBS
    Manual Flow equipped

Boards
    Hyperlite Hi-Fi "The Illest"
    CWB AMG Carbon
    Phase 5 Razz
    Byerly Volt
    4.6 Ronix Koal Fish
    Phase Five Scamp (kiddos)

Quote Originally Posted by icemanftr View Post
    $200. Only a couple hours work. But being a boat I'm sure they will try and rip you off. Have a stereo bud come over and have cold beer on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not even close, imo.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    Not even close, imo.
    $1,000 more reasonable?
    2017 Supra SA

Yea, a shop isn't going to touch a boat for $200 this time of year. A custom fab box will cost over $200 before the labor.

$1,000 is closer but it may go higher than that. It's going to take more time than you think to do it right ... measuring the boat and making sure it fits, building a box to spec, ported means more math for correct tuning, waterproofed?, build out of a facade?, etc.

Then tuning will take at minimum an hour, probably 2.

My boat is going to Earmark at the end of the week ... I'd be ecstatic about a bill under $500.

It will vary by shop because their end result expectations will differ.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

1 shop may take a prebuilt box, slide it in under the helm, hook up the wires, fiddle with gains and send you on your way.

Another shop will build the box to the manufacturer specs, waterproof the box, put feet in the floor to elevate the box off the ground, build out a facade, and spend some time tuning each piece of equipment in the line with digital tuning equipment.

This time of year you might also find a longer lead time than you would expect to get the boat in the shop.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Ya I think $200 is very low. If I lived in Texas and close to Earmark I would just drop it off there! Or on East/West coast there are alot of experienced builders in marine applications.
    Up here there are no Marine specific or experienced shops so on last boat I had a local shop (and friend of mine) build the sub enclosure and install.
    Although it sounded great there were things I would have done alot differently and asked about but never got done.
    So this time around I just did it all myself and did it right!! It's a ton of work to do it right but couldn't be happier with the results and had alot of extra coin in my pocket for other mods.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    Ya I think $200 is very low. If I lived in Texas and close to Earmark I would just drop it off there! Or on East/West coast there are alot of experienced builders in marine applications.
    Up here there are no Marine specific or experienced shops so on last boat I had a local shop (and friend of mine) build the sub enclosure and install.
    Although it sounded great there were things I would have done alot differently and asked about but never got done.
    So this time around I just did it all myself and did it right!! It's a ton of work to do it right but couldn't be happier with the results and had alot of extra coin in my pocket for other mods.
    I did it all except I know my knowledge (time to do it) ends at building custom box and tuning. It has been at shop and hope to pickup next week. Wanted a gauge on what to expect and then know what to push back on if too high.
    2017 Supra SA

Did they give you an idea on how many hours they have in the Box?
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    Did they give you an idea on how many hours they have in the Box?
    $300 is estimate for enclosure.
    2017 Supra SA