Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Removing Upholstery Stains

My family convinced me to leave the cover off of the boat this weekend to let it "air out" while we were camping. I had to leave the boat with the in-laws last week, and the cover got some mildew on it. I'm not sure if the boat was parked wet in the shade or what because I didn't drop it off or pick it up. I know that I have not had this problem with it parked in the driveway where it can dry. I bought some Tilex and that seems to remove the mildew from the cover. Does anyone have any suggestions on preventing mildew or removing mildew? Has anyone ever had a problem with certain products damaging the cover? I have purchased the cheapo cover but the in-laws did not have it to put on. The boat will not leave home without it from now on.

Back to the original reason for the post. I did decide to leave the cover off because I didn't want the mildew to continue to spread into the boat. The tree leaves and who knows what else got into the boat. Monday before putting the boat in the water, I had to take about two hours to drive to the car wash and vacuum and clean the carpet because I didn't want all that crap ground into the carpet once I got it full of people. That took so long and delayed me getting on the lake until after 12 so I didn't have time to clean between the cushions. Now I have some nice neon green stains on the upholstery. Some of the stitching is also discolored. Anybody have any good products for cleaning and removing stains from the upholstery and stitching?

Default Replying to Topic 'Removing Upholstery Stains'

Try Spray-nine or 303, both products work well.

good luck, E

Double ditto on those two recommendations.

-J

Go buy the Majic Erasers. They work wonders on all kinds of stains and dirt in the vinyl. You can get them in the household cleaning section of walmart or like stores.

Originally posted by three6ty
    Go buy the Majic Erasers. They work wonders on all kinds of stains and dirt in the vinyl. You can get them in the household cleaning section of walmart or like stores.
    Put them in a ziplock bag and keep in your boat bag.
    Get the stains/grease/red clay/pen/'lousy black stains from the swim platforms' off right away.

I have to admit I am not very good at cleaning the boat and often it gets put away wet so I have had more than my share of mildew issues. I have found the magic erasers work well but fall apart very easly. There is another brand that has the microfiber foam on one side and a blue foam on the other that works just as well but holds up much better. I recently had to have my rear locker re-stitched and brought it to a canvas awning shop. He sold me some powder that you mix with water. Using it with the magic eraser thing was a miracle. There were mildew stains that I have scrubbed at for years and given up on and this almost completely eliminated them. I left it in the boat which is at our camp so I cant tell he name of it right away bit it was ESCO or something like that. When you mix it up the water turns blue and smokes like a witches brew but then turns clear when it is ready to use. It does not seem to be caustic and the guy tells me it is safe for the stitching. He gave me a lecture about using bleach and Tilex. This stuff works great.

Andy

Who makes spray nine or 303? Are these sold anywhere or are they Marine specific?

Thanks
    I mess with Texas

303 can be purchased at most marine stores such as boaters world, west marine. I have even seen it at sports authority.

I have to also give props to the magic erasers.

I also really like the babes seat soap. It really cleans the vinyl well.

db

Knights Marine Spray Nine is available from all the boating superstores and online.

Here

Here

And cheapest - Here

The "erasers" do work - but I worry they are removing the thin clear topcoat of the vinyl.

Oh, and always wipe down your vinyl with water after any deep cleaning - then dry, and apply 303 protectant.

-Joe

These stains are from berries and tree leaves that got between the cushions and then it rained. Its almost as if the juices dyed the upholstery. I have tried multiple cleaners as well as bleach with no luck. My local boater's world did not have 303 in stock but I'm ordering some today. What's the chances that I will have better luck with the 303 than the stuff I've already tried.

I wonder what the cost of reupholstering some of the removable cushions as well as the back deck lids would cost?