Thread: Maintenance

Default Maintenance

Hey All,
    I just bought a Moomba '05 Mobius LS with an Indmar Vortec 350 this season with 38 hours on it and am looking for some preventative maintenance tips to keep it running in good shape. I have an owners manual but it doesn't really give too much information about the engine, cooling system etc. If anyone has any information they can offer me it would be greatly appreciated. Also, could I get a manual somewhere that has diagrams or something to label all the parts that I should be looking at.

Default Replying to Topic 'Maintenance'

Read lots of threads here! You will get a common theme... "CHANGE THE IMPELLER YEARLY" For as little as it costs, and as much as it does - the simplest thing next to good fluid upkeep (oil, trans fluid, etc)

THIS is the closest thing to a "shop manual" for Indmars.

Enjoy the new toy! Post pics when you can.

-Joe

Originally posted by JoeTechie
    Read lots of threads here! You will get a common theme... "CHANGE THE IMPELLER YEARLY" For as little as it costs, and as much as it does - the simplest thing next to good fluid upkeep (oil, trans fluid, etc)

-Joe
    Listen to Joe on the impeller.
    Second, double your order so you have an extra around.
    Write the date of purchase on the box/bag.
    Next season, use that one and buy a new backup.

Joe,

Is there anything interesting in that manual or is it generic?

I'm not sure I understand the question. It is an aftermarket engine repair and maitenance manual. So it is NOT an official Indmar Shop manual with all the exact part numbers for each year, but they do have breakdown of major systems with parts, and process. Maitenance section, etc. Pretty thorough as far as I can see. Not completly up to date, but still pretty close.

-J

Do you have the Indmar manual for the engine? If not you can go to Indmar's website and download the engine manual which has some good information in it, especially about winterizing and such. I do all my maintenance myself because I don't trust people working on my stuff and it is not hard. These guys are right about the impeller. Make sure you change it once a year and keep a spare in the boat. Even if you don't end up needing it, someone else on the lake might. I also keep a spare belt as well because if that breaks, you are pretty much dead in the water. Also, most importantly, make sure you keep the tools you need to replace the impeller and/or belt on the boat at all times. Without these, the impeller won't do you much good. I also follow the engine maintenance recommendations to the letter, even to the point of buying the recommended brand of oil (Penzoil) that Indmar recommends in my manual. I may pay a little bit more for "brand name" parts and such, but as much as my boat cost, I am not taking any chances. Hope this helps!

-Brian

The manual that I have is from Moomba not the Indmar manual, so I will take a look on the indmar website.Thanks for the tips.

Cameron,
    Kinda surprised you didn't get the engine book with yours. When I bought my '04 Outback, it came with several books and care tip flyers, including an Indmar maintenance service and record keeping manual, along with the owner's manual, one on the transmission, and others.
    You said it had 38 hrs on it. If bought from a individual, check back with them to see if they simply forgot to forward it w/ the boat. If bought from a dealer, I'm sure they can hook you up. It won't hurt to ask
    Hope this helps
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!