Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by aggietb View Post
    Thanks guys I figured I'd be happy with either choice. Probably just like id be happy with Rev8's, I think anything will be an improvement over the Pro60's for sure. How much difference in hang height on the tower is there between the two. Im already really good at trying to knock myself unconscious with the one pair of 60s lol that was my only other reason for leaning towards 8" drivers.
    "How much difference in hang height on the tower is there between the two."

If hang height is really an important issue, then look very carefully at the photo by smorris7 to get an idea on the actual XM9 hang height. Exile lists the pod diameter at 10.0" and the total hang height at 10.5". That (10.5") is likely not possible (with only a 0.5" difference), as you can see, from the bottom of the tower tube to the bottom of the pod. And the distance may have changed if the neck is longer on the newest collar.
    And double check and critique the Wetsounds in the same way. Different collar options make a difference.

So I'm not trying to start any brand wars here as I know both speakers are great. My question is it worth spending what looks to be around 1000 dollars extra to get 2 pairs of rev 10s and an amp over 2 pairs of XM9's amped? I have Pro 60's right now and they are super harsh I want a warmer sound but still want the projection as the crew is mixed evenly between Surfing/Wakeboarding/PartyCoving. Im pretty sure I'll be happy with both speakers but just wondering if that Extra 2" of driver is enough to justify the cost?

Thanks guys.
    Ill start by saying im jumping without yet reading any other replies, so im going to address your post and not what anyone else has stated.

Think of the difference between an 8" speaker and a 10" speaker, whether its a full range coax, HLCD or sub-woofer as if you were comparing a 1/2 ton pickup to a 3/4 ton pickup. That alone will account for some of the price difference. In terms of towing and load capacity, its not a fair comparison and you would not expect the 2 different model trucks to be the nearly the same cost.

No question that a larger speaker offers more mid-bass output and deeper mid-bass. The differences are just the same when talking about a 10" and a 12" woofer. Dont see many post from anyone saying no need to go with 12" woofer cause a 10" is just loud, deep, Hits just as hard, diggs just as deep, etc. So, an 8" HLCD is going to certainly be a step in the sound quality direction as compared to your current 6.5" and the difference between an 8" (anyones 8" HLCD) and a 10" HLCD is just another large step toward better sound quality, all while maintaining wake range projection.

Now getting a little technical. Two 8" drivers have a total surface area of a little more than a single pair of 10", but no quantity of smaller speaker will ever play deeper. So, I would seriously consider a single pair of 10" v's 2 pair of 8". Id say 9 of 10 Rev-10 owners are more than satisfied with a single air, then theres those that just want off the hook. So this gets your cost comparison WAY closer. Again, this is based on comparing surface are rather then the number of pods. Amp wattage wise, its also very close comparing a Syn-4 @ 400W rms x 2 and the 30.2 @ 420W rms x 2.

Price wise, if you apply the same 10% package discount the 2 xm9/30.2 cost is only $790 less than 2 pair Rev-10 w/TC3-S clamps and Suitz-10 and Syn-2 (comparable wattage wise). I think the performance difference between an 8" and 10" speaker has been covered.

Didn't realize there was such a discount David. so much thinking to do. lol
    What you see on the Wet Sounds site is the MSRP. This is because Wet Sounds makes every effort to NOT undercut their dealers. However, dealers are free to apply whatever discounts they feel comfortable giving. Id be very surprised if you could not walk into a wet sound dealer and walk out with a comparable package discount.

Hang height: I do not documentation of the xm9 hand height, but when I checked, the difference was not all that much. Hard to believe that a 2" larger speaker did not hang all that much lower then an 8" speaker. The xm9 has a fair amount of pod material surrounding the OD of the speaker basket. This gives the pd about a 10" OD. Add the distance between the pod and bottom of the lower clamp half, theres atleast another couple inches.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    What you see on the Wet Sounds site is the MSRP. This is because Wet Sounds makes every effort to NOT undercut their dealers. However, dealers are free to apply whatever discounts they feel comfortable giving. Id be very surprised if you could not walk into a wet sound dealer and walk out with a comparable package discount.

Hang height: I do not documentation of the xm9 hand height, but when I checked, the difference was not all that much. Hard to believe that a 2" larger speaker did not hang all that much lower then an 8" speaker. The xm9 has a fair amount of pod material surrounding the OD of the speaker basket. This gives the pd about a 10" OD. Add the distance between the pod and bottom of the lower clamp half, theres atleast another couple inches.
    Yes, the Exile uses a wider and shallower pod while the Wetsounds uses a narrower and deeper pod. So that is why the difference in hang height is somewhat condensed between an Exile 8" and a Wetsounds 10". The Exile also has a much longer neck on the collar while the Wetsounds has a bit of a hump on top of the pod mold. So those two issues are somewhat offsetting. Neither company IMO gives either enough information or accurate information on hang height. That's why I recommend you verify the real numbers on both.

thanks for all the replies guys glad we've had no arguments....but def have some thinking to do!! lol This is going to be crazy interesting when exile decides to come out with a 10" driver lol. but like said I'm sure I'll be happy with either one as they're both an upgrade.
    2005 Outback LSV-Assault 325

Default XM9's or REV 10's no arguments please!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
    Radius squared times Pie = surface area.
    Nice reference on 3.14

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Nice reference on 3.14
    Good catch. I prefer cherry.
    Gil Hebert

2014 Mojo

Key lime pi for me. 3.14 with whipped cream.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Nice reference on 3.14
    Just a way to keep it straight....Pies are round and cakes are squared.

wait what? cake is square??
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten