Default GoPro while snowboarding tips

Leaving for a snowobarding trip tomorrow and wanted to get a few tips from you guys. I used the GoPro with a helmet mount on the last trip, but the way I used it was so inefficient for the battery, I just didn't get enough good footage before it ran out.

Do you guys leave the gopro powered on the entire day, with the wifi activated? Or do you turn everything off until you're ready to film, and then turn everything back off again when you're done?

I have an apple watch this year, so that should help with controlling when I'm filming, and making it easier to turn off instead of digging around for my phone, but I'm just curious what you guys are doing in between runs. I have the GoPro 3+ black, and two batteries, so any tips are appreciated!
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold

I found even with a dual battery setup to total shut off between runs, standby eats the battery as well as the wifi .

strap to helmet instead of the double stick tape, its worthless
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Use it all the time. Leave it on and only record when I want to. Do not have WiFi on as that kills battery always looking for signals. Start with two full batteries and change them at lunch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Default Re: GoPro while snowboarding tips

I turn it on off as needed, WiFi off, and LEDs off, sounds on low..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

I have the hero 2. Should have qualified that
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I have the 4 silver and honestly when I thought about using it for snowboarding, I went to ebay and picked up a Contour Roam2. They are 1080p and have a pretty good frame rate. You can get them for under $100. It is waterproof and has less of a "fisheye" look that my gopro has. The profile is tons better for a helmet. What I really like about the Roam2 (I've had MANY different Contour models) is that it's simple: slide the BIG button forward (very easy to do with gloves on), and it turns it ON, BEEPS, and starts recording. Slide the button back and it stops recording, Beeps twice, and turns it off. I am only using battery when I'm recording. Yes, it's a non-removeable battery, so you'd have to bring a battery brick to recharge it at lunch. I don't do marathon video sessions though. But when I was up at Whistler and grabbing lots of chase video of my son going through the Nintendo terrain park, the battery easily lasted all day.

Here's a pic of it on my helmet. I've crashed plenty and never had it come off.

Here's a short clip that shows the field of view (how it's less widescreen/fisheye than the gopro). It also gives an idea of frame rate in the slow-mo.

Honestly, when I got my first gopro (3+ black, which I ultimately upgraded to the 4 silver), I thought about adapting the gopro for snowboarding, but instead I just bought the contour for like $90. IMO it's just a better tool for the job. That said, I've been told that the gopro smart remote uses a lot less battery than using the gopro app. We use the smart remote for our gopro on the boat.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com