Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boat insurance

Default boat insurance

what do you look for in boat insurance?? price is important what else do I need to look at? I watched a little girl get killed on cumberland this year and got drug into the investigation .. it scared the heck out of me.

Any thoughts?

Default Replying to Topic 'boat insurance'

I have the house, cars, and boat thru Nationwide. I cant tell you exactly what the level of coverage is but they did decline me when I submitted my application: stating that “based on the HP to length ratio, the boat went faster then 50 mph”

I faxed them a copy of the manufacturer’s specs (where it says the boats top speed was something like 43 or 44 mph) and they pushed the paper work thru.

E.

Make sure you have enough coverage for the dollar value of the boat and medical coverage for the people your dragging behind the boat. I need to reevaluate my medical coverage as my wife ran off the road and spent six days in the hospital at $1,300 a day plus doctor's costs. The $10K medical coverage isn't enough but with family my medical insurance kicks in. She'll do fine but that is why I don't have her drive the boat.

If you have someone besides family being towed you have to have adequate coverage. How much is that? It's whatever you can live with I guess.

At least your looking at insurance as most boat owners do. I wouldn't expect the same with the jet skiiers though. Oh yah, insurance oops.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Cyndi, That's the name of my girlfriend.

Okay, I am a insurance agent, so everyone not start giving me crap.

A couple things of advice. Make sure you carry at least 200K liability. Also a bit of advice is to have a $1Million Personal Umbrella. Now in saying that most insurance companies will require that the ins company has all supporting business. They are good companies such as ski safe and progressive and so forth that do specialize in boat insurance. But the problem is you umbrella will be denied kicking in to a loss.

Next thing is get equip coverage. That will take care of all aftermarket stuff you add to the boat. ie stereo, tower speakers, wakeboards, ropes and so forth that have a tendancy to get stolen.

I personally could have saved about 200 a year by going to skisafe.com but No umbrella. Thank goodness I get my commision back to help out.

Hope all have a good and safe holiday.

db

ps. ED. Have a beer for me in Florida. Heading for Table Rock lake in the morning for the holiday.

I would agree with qb make sure your liability is high just in case anything happens. Additionally, look for replacement cost on your boat.

With my carrier, State Farm, you give them the amount you want to insure the boat for and then if you have a covered total loss then the write you a check for that amount less deductible. So if you cover your boat for $40,000 and have a $1,000 deductible then in a total loss you get a check for $39,000. No need to check the boat value or anything else.

I appreciate the tips I actually went to United Marine Underwriters for my boat insurance I bought 1 mill in liability coverage and assume this will be enough. I watched a small girl get killed on the lake this year in a tubing accident and rethought boating and of course insurance. I have a friend who jet ski and no insurance of any kind. I told her she needed to check it out as well. I am not quite sure what the umbrella coverage means. I have a couple of houses and 2 cars through travelers but I thought that for my boat insurance I might be better off with someone who specializes in it. I am amazed at the exposure we all have hanging out there all of the time in such a litigious society.

Hi Cyndi,

Good choice on the insurance. I think the only thing you may consider would be to up the coverage to at least 2 million liability. The more the better.

Happy and safe boating!!
    2005 Moomba Outback

LOL !!!!

Cyndi... you write amazingly similar to jcbridges - you type in LINKS - strange... odd how you are here posting at the same time using the same links for the SAME COMPANY (no link - sorry - you seem to be able to do that enough yourself)

Maybe the system does is automatically for some "magical" keywords... let's see... if I type "boat insurace" and "jet ski" - do they link ???

/edit - nope - no links - go figure! - edit /

:

MODS - please ban these ad whores.

-J

Ed, I know what you are saying however I believe we dont want to set a precident.. If a company starts getting rankings ... other companies web masters check key word rankings.. if they come from us they will all copy.. Trust me I've seen it many times.
    They want to put links on this site tell them to put a link to skiers choice moomba, supra direct on their site. Or pay SC for the ad space. It can get out of hand very quickly.

just my 2cents, there Im done..
    2005 Moomba Outback

Forsure Ed, I know you are right... and its true the friendly aspect of the board is certainly what keeps me comming back day after day...lol okay every other hour..

I didnt know who to email about stuff like this.. now I know and will use it when need be..

Thanks again for the info as always.

Jay

PS the weekend is here lets all shut our computers off and go pay attention to our boats we've been neglecting all week! lol

Cheers!
    2005 Moomba Outback