Default Kicker KM8 Tower Cans

I think I want to go with the KM8's for tower speakers but I haven't found many options for 8" cans. I have only found the two options below and from the threads on here it sounds like the ones from bullet need some modifications to make them work. Any feedback on the second link? The offset mounting arm is a little different looking but I am thinking it might actually allow me to modify the cover plates from in the stock mounting locations so I wouldn't have to use the clamps at all. Thoughts?

http://www.bulletlines.com/Kicker-KM...Cans-p/209.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kicker-8-Mar...kAAOSw2XFUkvVD
    2015 Mojo with autoflow

Kicker is supposed to be releasing a can for that speaker soon ... I think?

Maybe Phil will chime in.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Good point, I guess their website would have been a good place to start. :P

http://www.kicker.com/43KMTES8B

The cans from kicker look nice but a bit price compared to the other options and I am still intrigued about possibly mounting the ones in the ebay link directly to the factory mounting plates. It also looks like that design would give me some swivel adjustments which would be nice but I am a little worried that the single mounting bolt would loosen itself over time and it will be hard to lock the speakers in place.
    2015 Mojo with autoflow

Default Kicker KM8 Tower Cans

Quote Originally Posted by cpropes2005 View Post
    Good point, I guess their website would have been a good place to start. :P

http://www.kicker.com/43KMTES8B

The cans from kicker look nice but a bit price compared to the other options and I am still intrigued about possibly mounting the ones in the ebay link directly to the factory mounting plates. It also looks like that design would give me some swivel adjustments which would be nice but I am a little worried that the single mounting bolt would loosen itself over time and it will be hard to lock the speakers in place.
    I have the bullet ones and they work great. You do have to grind out the opening a tad to fit the KM8 but my installer said it was no big deal and he did it after it was powder coated.

One thing to note is if you do four speakers it's hard to get them completely level due to the shape of the tower. Not a big deal for me once I saw it. I thought I would hate it but it wasn't bad.

One thing I like about the bullet is that the wiring is concealed. I was stoked when kicker released their can but the wiring is external. To me it looks like it was made in 2006. I wish they had swivel mounts like exile but NBD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Mondo

Upgraded 900lb Rears, 250lb under Port Seat & 750lb IBS

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Kicker Stereo: 2 800.5 amps, 2 400.2 amps, 4 KM8 towers , 4 KM10 subs & 8 KM6 cabin speakers

Like Brett said, you will be opening up the mounting hole in order to fit the KM8. Also, those polished aluminum pods wont look for long. The finish will dull.

The kicker pods, especially the white ones, have a gloss finish and the aluminum clamps are coated. The speakers drop right in and there are a number of screw holes to help index the driver if the pod it mounted on an angled tube. The come with high quality binding posts with tinned marine grade leads already connected inside. The clamps have sizing inserts for different tower diameters. The pods have a hole to accommodate the RGB LEDs that come standard on the KM8 drivers.

With a little work, you can actually conceal the wires through the center of the clamp for a cleaner look.

Its a retail package of $580. Compare that to other 8" tower setups like the JL, exile, wetsounds and rockford. This is quality marine product, not your Pyle or BOSS level stuff.

Brett, your setup looks awesome. I hope mine turns out that good.

The more I look at the ones on ebay the more cheesy that mount looks so I think I am down to either getting the bullet ones and powder coating them like Brett’s or going for the factory ones from Kicker. Both look like good options.

On the S-bend there are cover plates where all of the wires are hidden and if you get factory speakers there is an adapter that attaches to this plate which eliminates the clamps. I have been trying to figure out how I could fabricate an adapter to work with each different style of can but for now I will probably just run the clamps and worry about that later. I think the only way for me to conceal the wires is with an adapter plate though since the wires all exit the tower under that plate. I guess I could drill another hole under the clamps and fish the wires but I don’t really want to do that since my ultimate goal is to get them mounted to the plates.

On a related note is KM84LCW (41KM84LCW) the correct part # for the KM’8s that should be used for tower speakers? I found them on amazon for $150 which seems like a good price but I wanted to make sure there aren’t multiple variants of the speaker before I ordered.
    2015 Mojo with autoflow