Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS

Default GPS

I just ordered my first GPS unit. A Lowrance H2O handheld. More for fun than anything else.

Anybody else use them? Any comments?

Default Replying to Topic 'GPS'

I agree with Ed, that they are great.

Heck, Ed really needs his to help him get home after to many beers on the lake.

db

My lake is 56k acres. If I am out of familiar territory after dark, the GPS comes in very handy.

A must have!
    Helps regulate speed much better than analogue dials.
    Has saved my @ss a few times stuck out after dark. Allows you to follow the exact path that you took to get to where you are.

On a big lake you may find areas that are better than others for skiing/wakeboarding/wakesurfing etc. helps you go back to those exact spots instead of searching around again if you are new to the area.

Good purchase, you wont regret it!!
    2005 Moomba Outback

Definitely a fun toy. And can be useful finding way back. However, be warned that depending on where you are, backtracking can be dangerous. Make sure your original path in the daylight stays well clear of shore and fixed objects. I know a guy that put his cabin cruiser on shore following his GPS back track. Yes it was dark, he was going fast, and he was coming back from the bar, but still....

Now that you have this toy you might also want to check into an off-water activity known as geo-caching. Google it, it can be fun ...

Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Geocaching is hours of fun for the whole family. Go to www.geocaching.com and learn all about it. Basically people hide a cache (usually an old ammo can) with a log book and some trinkets in it. They record the coordinates and then post it to the database on geocaching.com with a description and hints. You put in the coordinates in your GPS and the hunt is on. When you find it, you sign the log and trade som of your junk for the junk that is in the can. We have a gallon freezer bag of old hot wheels, bracelets, shiny rocks, and the like for trading. I usaully download a bunch of caches in an area that we are vacationing at. It allows a free healthy activity, and lets you see different parts of the area that you might have missed.
    I also have the boat ramps at my favorite lakes loaded in there. In May I was out fishing with my father-in-law on his boat w/o my GPS. The fog dropped on us at about 8am with 20ft of visibility, we had to just wait until it burned off. With my GPS we could have gotten rtight back to the ramp.

tlrowe -- 56k acres, are you kidding me. what state is that in? Makes my 200 acrea seem loike a puddle.

Default Replying to Topic 'G

Originally posted by Tanners
    I just ordered my first GPS unit. A Lowrance H2O handheld. More for fun than anything else.
    Anybody else use them? Any comments?
    West Point, our home lake, is 25k acres.

We own a small hand held Garmin Legend.
    I use it to geolocate all of our digital photos from outings.
    (http://www.feather.us/category/hobbies/gps/)

Use it to calibrate my speedos. I have done some geocaching (be careful, thanks to DHS, you can be harrassed for this now) in the past.

Has DHS made some comment about geocaching? Would they fear that my family of five is a terrorist cell hell-bent on blowing up the US one ammo can at a time?

Our tax dollars at work.

Dave

Originally posted by gotmyboat
    Has DHS made some comment about geocaching? Would they fear that my family of five is a terrorist cell hell-bent on blowing up the US one ammo can at a time?

Our tax dollars at work.
    Dave
    I'll have to find the reference.