Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First time up whoo hoo!

Sorry, couldn't contain my excitement.
    Been trying all season using a non handled surf rope and decided to use one with a handle. Much easier on the hands and seems to help me to just hang on at the most loaded point when getting out.
    So at 240lbs and 50ys of age it's possible! Have to work on setting the boat up ballast and speed wise now that I can get up and on the board.
    Season drawing to a close here soon but I'll brave the cooler water if I have to.
    Background is of the wall at Lake Eildon in Victoria Australia.
    Cheers BruceR.
    surfing.jpg
    Bruce
    2014 Moomba Mondo

Looks good man, work on keeping those arms straight out, it will be less strain on your arms and hands, also it will keep you from yo yoing with the pulling of the boat and water drag as you are learning.

Each time you get up it will be easier and easier. Stick with it.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Nice job, mate! Gonna enjoy the boat a lot more now.

Looks like that wake could use a makeover.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Congrats on getting up! Throw your boat stats up, type, year, ballast etc so you can get some help tuning that wake.
    It looks like the opposite wake is trying to form.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Thanks for the replies.
    Yeah a pretty good feeling after many many attempts.
    The boat is going 15mph there, a bit fast I reckon, never expected to actually get up so no ballast. flow etc.
    When we go out next I'll play around with the ballast, boat speed and flow thingie and see what works or doesn't.
    Did get up a 2nd time after that so hopefully I'm onto something. The wife's driving so we have been trying all sorts of things but think we have worked a combination of things out for taking off. She got up on that outing for the 1st time on her wakeboard, so big grins all around. A long way to go before it s a simple natural thing but a good start.
    Will try to use straight arms as suggested, think I probably freaked out that I was up and was wondering what to do next......besides falling off.
    I see most use the center ballast and rears to get a better wave along with the flow plate & wakeplate adjustment so guess I'll fill them up and run a few passes at different speeds & configs to see what the resultant wave looks like.
    Struggling to remain focused at work, would rather be out on the lake..........

Cheers BruceR
    Bruce
    2014 Moomba Mondo

Excellent! Be sure to post some pics of you surfing with your dialed in wake.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bjrow View Post
    The boat is going 15mph there, a bit fast I reckon, never expected to actually get up so no ballast. flow etc.
    great job Bruce!

you may find it easier to get up when the boat is set up correctly for surfing. search the forums for the best setup on you boat, but I can guide you with these general tips: slow down to 10.5-11.1mph, fill up all ballast 100% and use the FLOW.

Thanks for the tips.
    Kaneboats; Might be a while so don't hold your breath too long......
    Wolfeman131; Did wonder about this each time I was out but figured I'd leave that to when I can get up a few times. Maybe made it harder than it needed to be, however the rope with a handle seemed to make quite a difference for me in getting up.
    Speaking to locals here they all have different opinions on how to load the boat etc. but the forum here when looking thru the posts gives a pretty good idea of how to start. Only concern is how mushy the board may feel underfoot at the lower speeds but will give it a go for a better wave. Was surprised how firm it felt at 15mph so should be able to slow it down some.
    Gotta say when putting the boat in or pulling it out of the water there are a lot of confused faces as they read the Moomba logo, those that have no idea seem to think it's somehow related to the Moomba Masters water-skiing in Melbourne this month, I just smile and move on.
    Cheers BruceR.
    Bruce
    2014 Moomba Mondo

no mush if you're set up right.

vids of my daughters. we run at 11.1mph. different boats, but same concept: all ballast at 100% and using the surf system as designed.

https://youtu.be/YphCAOFbWOk

https://youtu.be/QMnMr9KM7us

Drew's right about making your wake firm. Ignore your local blokes. They know nothing compared to the intelligence you can get right here. Set the boat up for maximum push and enjoy!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!