Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default "Other" Trailer Build Advice

Howdy boys-

Been absent (minded) for a while. New job, kids, gkids, and life in general has been demanding. At any rate, I find myself in a bit of a dilemma on a potential trailer build - so who better to go to for advice than my Moomba brothers.

I have limited parking space for another trailer- the biggest thing is a 7ft max width. Beyond that I am looking at driveway or offsite storage option, neither of which is desirable. After plenty of research I've come up with a basic setup that I think will work and a guy who will build it for me at a reasonable price.

Specs:
    16x6 deckover (tires tucked underneath)
    28" deck height
    185/13 tires (24" high)
    Tandem axle w/ brakes on all 4
    LED lighting
    2" ball, tongue jack, etc.

I'm primarily hauling 4 quads at 500lbs each so roughly 2k payload. Occasionally I'll add on sides for hauling stuff around the house - gravel, bark, yardwork, etc.

My primary concern is the higher center of gravity and the narrow profile of the trailer. The weight of the quads is mostly the engine/tranny, somewhat centered, and about a foot off the ground. I'm going to make sure the axles are set far enough back for plenty of tongue weight.

Today I confiscated a conference room in the office and rearranged the tables to the actual size of the trailer. It's kinda long and skinny and tall feeling but I still think it will work. I'm just not 100% convinced yet.

Help convince me this will be fine. Or not...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

I'd go as wide as you can. A 7 foot width can still be seen around with the mirrors. Those can be found at trailer stores. I take it you are loading the ATVs from the side.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Sounds good to me, but I'd also go to 7'. I'm struggling with the same thing as I need to haul 5 quads. I'm looking at having a 22' side load trailer built similar to a Triton, just not out of aluminum.

http://www.tritontrailers.com/atv-ut...od/value-plus/

You can also get some ideas from echo trailers.

Yes, side loading quads. I wish I could go 7ft but that would literally be touching the house on one side and fence on the other. (Property line - no moving the fence) I need a little wiggle room as I'm backing it in up a slight incline and starting at a slight angle. I would probably hook it to one of the quads to back in.

I've looked at the Echo trailers. My dimensions are similar but price wise about 1/2 the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    I've looked at the Echo trailers. My dimensions are similar but price wise about 1/2 the cost.
    Im finding the same.

A guy at our dive rescue unit bought one of our old Zodiac boat trailers (fishing boat size) and converting it to a flat bed for quads. He's taking off the winch post and bucks and welding a frame and then use 2x12's for the flat bed. Those wheels are about 6' wide.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Any idea how far off the ground the deck will be?

I would double check on your quad widiths. My Honda trx 450r is a little over 6' length and the Honda forman is 7' in length I know that is total (you should be good on the wheel base). on thing we did one our last trailer to haul side x side on we put a 4" lip around the outside of the trailer piece of angle iron turned up gives a pocket on the trailer when loading for the bikes to sit in.

All our trailers are gooseneck and wide so I cannot comment on the center of gravity. I would think as long are you can keep the weight balanced from side to side you should be good. 28" does not sound crazy high to me.
    2007 supra 21v

Width wise we should be fine since wheelbase is around 48" on our machines. A little overhang won't hurt.

I will probably add a short side rail for quad hauling and larger sides for crap hauling.

After seeing some of the huge enclosed snowmobile haulers going down the road that are 8.5' wide, 24' long and 9' tall (with wheels tucked underneath) I'm thinking I'll be ok with this plan.

Build complete. Waaaaay cheaper than echo trailer or some other builders I checked in with.

Overall length is 21.5ft. Deck is exactly 16x6, 28" high. Tows solid. Fits 4 quads with room to spare and can still tuck beside the house.