Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Trailer hitch drop

I've been searching for this and haven't found a definitive answer. Unfortunately don't have easy access to my trailer to measure. I have a 2012 MOJO with the boatmate dual axle trailer and I just bought a new tow vehicle, a 2016 Yukon Denali xl. Anyone know how much drop I need on my trailer hitch to level the trailer? Want to make sure I get this right before I pick it up from storage! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Don't know the answer but great handle. Now you need the avatar to go with it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

That answer would need much more information and could change depending tire size, exact model trailer etc.. Measure The trailer and your input hitch is the only real way to be sure. I'm going to take a wild guess and say it is a 4in drop which is what I have on my Silverado 1500 4x4 factory height with oversize tires. Love to see pics!

Just as above, many variables. I use a 2 inch drop on my RAM 1500 and LSV, I also have air suspension so truck will always ride level with zero sag. My RAM 2500 I used a 6 inch drop. I am waiting until I get my SA450 before I buy a new hitch as I want to make sure that rides level. I would wait until you can have the Yukon and Mojo in the same place at the same time.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Thanks guys, love the boat and love the Denali. With 3 kids and 2 dogs, it was time to go big or go home I had a durango RT which I loved, but it was just too small. Towed the mojo ok, I used a 2 inch drop with that and it was pretty level. I'm guessing I probably need 4 with the Denali but will go measure. This summer I'll likely do some significant towing and bring it with me when I visit family in the midwest so I want to get it right. Will look into weight distributing as well.

I was hoping this was a popular tow setup, but I can find some time to visit the boat, measure the drop, and stare at it for a bit until mid march when it's time to get back on the water.

What about measure your Durango hitch height and then the Denali. How much higher is the D and add that to drop down.
    DFTR Josh
    Supra/Moomba
    www.marine-products.com (Discount Code: DFTR-1)

I'm with mcdye, I think you'll need a rise before you need a drop.
    A 2" flipped over would likely do it.

PWI as usual...

Default Re: Trailer hitch drop

Homedepot and buy several sizes, return the ones you don't need, you can also flip them over and move the ball..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

A common solution I have had to use when we had our 24 and I had to use a 2 wheel drive expedition to tow was a 4" drop hitch flipped over with the ball in the top to get enough rise.

If you are trying to get this set before going to the boat I would take a few hitches and some large crescent wrenches to try different hitch and ball positions. Best bet, level the trailer, measure the receiver height on the tongue, then figure out which of your hitch and ball combos ends up being a good 3 to 5" higher. Hook it up and see how it looks.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

I went the adjustable route as well since I tow a few different things (boat, jet ski, camper) and they all seem to have a different drop/rise needed to keep them level. I stumbled into a great deal on this one and the swivel action makes hitching up more of a one-man operation since I'm usually doing that task by myself.

http://inventiveproductsinc.com/FW_ITD9110.php

ITD9110_G1.jpg
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...