Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tower Speakers

Default Tower Speakers

I’m looking to purchase speakers for my tower on my ’05 Mobius LSV. There are two brands that I am currently leaning towards. The Audioformz Polk Momo 6x9’s and the Monster Tower double pairs with the Polks. Any feedback on those two would be appreciated, but I have a few specific questions:

1. It doesn’t appear that the Audioformz have any good way to remove the speaker from the tower during storage other than undoing the clamps. Can anyone confirm this? That is one of the features that I like about the Monster speakers.

2. If anyone has the Audioformz, can you confirm that standard universal clamps work on the Moomba towers? The website says that they range from 1 7/8” to 2.5”. If I’m not mistaken, our towers are 1 ½”.

3. As I am planning on installing these myself, I haven’t notice many good ways to get the wiring out of the hull other than the factory plug that is used for the light. Does anyone have any good suggestions, or pictures?

Thanks,

Default Replying to Topic 'Tower Speakers'

I am running the Audioformz Polk 6.75 speakers. I absolutely love them. They will fit your tower, but you have to use both of the spacers that are supplied. I wouild not recommend "unbolting" the clamp everytime. If you will need to remove the speakers everytime, I would suggest going with the other brand. Audioformz uses the same clamps as the ones offered on Crutchfield for the bazooka tower speakers. I am also pretty sure that our towers are the 1 7/8 inch. Seems like that is what I remember measuring them at.

Check out my install on the following Link. Hope this helps.

I just realized that I did not include a picture of the plug that I built that disconnects at the tower "hinge" point. I will try to get a picture of it this weekend.

Tower Project Link ---> Tower Project
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Regarding speaker attachment. The easier it is for you to remove the speakers, the easier it is for someone else to remove them.

We bought our Mobius with speakers already on it. The prior owner had modified the clamping mechanism by welding the quick release solid. So the only way to remove the speakers was by removing 4 bolst with an allen wrench. At first I thought this was strange, until I had someone try to steal them off my boat while it was at a dealer. The allen head screws foiled them thankfully.

Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Good Point!

JesseC -
    I notice on your installation page that you replaced your stock speakers with the Polk's also. How do you like them? I was thinking of doing the same thing. They've got a bunch of them on ebay for around $90.

Actually looking at the Polk Momo's.

Absolutely love them! Got all of them off of ebay. Crutchfield will run a deal buy one pair get the second half off. I just watched for deals and collected them over a few months.

Speaker installation page ---> Speaker Install Project
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Well, over the last month i have purchased all my stereo equipment and i worked last weekend on partial install. I mounted 4 of the Audioformz Polk db675's, but have not wired them. We must have 1 1/2" diameter towers because the largest spacer is for a 1 7/8" dia. and it was still to big to fit tight on the tower. I had to use some rubber material to wrap the tower before installing and then trim any excess that hung out past the clamps. I'm hoping that not only will this solve my spacer issue, but also provide some shock absorbtion. Using the largest and smallest spacer just didn't seem stable enough. More weight than i figured - I definetely will not be lowering the tower by myself any more.

Also mounted 2 Clarion marine amps up under the storage area in front of the batteries and a Polk 10" subwoofer under the dash. Have not wired everthing, that will be next weekend. I will eventually switch out all the stock speakers with the Polk db650's - I have one pair now.

I'll try to get some pictures up when finished.

A word of wisdom on replacing the stock speakers. The size is 6 1/2, but the factory grills leave a large ring if you use a 6 1/2 speaker to replace them. If you go up to the db675, you will cover the ring, but you will have to do some cutting to make them fit. I went with the db 675's and used a dremmel tool to make the holes bigger.

Does anyone have any experience with the Boss MRWT69's? I just ordered a pair for me OB and was wondering......
    Specifications:
    4-WAY 6 x 9 Component Speakers
    Waterproof marinized enclosure
    Power handling Peak 550w
    Magnet Structure - 80oz
    Impedance - 4 ohm
    Frequency Response - 40Hz-20kHz
    SPL 1 watt/1 meter 95 db
    Cone material - metallic injection
    Voice Coil - 1-1/2" aluminum
    Tweeter - 2x1" mylar dome
    Grilles - metal
    Ferro Fluid Enhanced
    Cabinet Dimensions: 11.5"w x 9"h x 9"d
    Clamp accomodates bar width from 1/2" flat to 2 1/4" in diameter
    1 year manufacturers warranty

B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

Okie, so no one w/ experience
    Any thoughts?
    ice pick anyone?.....anyone????
    B
    Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!
    2004 Moomba Outback. Tower Speakers, amp, ballast, ssrr ... she's a cutie!

Polk audio are a perfect choice for your boat. I just installed 6 Polk Audio DB651 and 4 Polk Momo for the Tower. I also installed a 10 Boston Acustic Sub under the driver side. The system sounds sick. I really love the way it sonds. AudioForms are great. I had their can on my tower. Very sturdy under extreme stress. Now in regards tot he Monster Tower Speakers. I was concidering them as well. To me, I didn't think that the speaker would handle the stres of bouncing across the water. That little pin doesn't seem sturdy enough to hold the speaker. It might rattle. My two cents. As Jessie stated. The audio Formz are great cans. Plus, they do not look so bulky on the tower. I tried another brand and everybody kept hitting their head when they entered the boat.

These are the Kicker Marine speakers in the Audio Formz cans before I chaged them to Polk Momo speakers. Plus you can not beat the price of the product.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!