Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cutting 4" holes in fiberglass seat bases.

So I've found that cutting 4" holes with a hole saw is a serious PITA. My 18v cordless drills get toasted in short order. I even bought a corded drill and found that I can smoke the motor on that one before I make much progress on the hole. I've got a couple more hot tubes I can add to my heater system but drilling the holes is literally a process that takes multiple sessions of drilling over a day or days. It doesn't seem like it should be this hard.

What am I missing or doing wrong?
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    So I've found that cutting 4" holes with a hole saw is a serious PITA. My 18v cordless drills get toasted in short order. I even bought a corded drill and found that I can smoke the motor on that one before I make much progress on the hole. I've got a couple more hot tubes I can add to my heater system but drilling the holes is literally a process that takes multiple sessions of drilling over a day or days. It doesn't seem like it should be this hard.

What am I missing or doing wrong?
    First, your inbox is full, second, what are you trying to do with the seat bases? Are you meaning the walls between the bottom of the seat to the floor? I had no issues drilling holes through my LSV, just never went 4".
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    First, your inbox is full, second, what are you trying to do with the seat bases? Are you meaning the walls between the bottom of the seat to the floor? I had no issues drilling holes through my LSV, just never went 4".
    Cleared inbox space.

Yes, the walls between the bottom of the seats and the floor. Drilling 4" holes in them to add more Heatercraft Hot tubes. I have a 4 port heater that's located under the seat cushion that's behind the driver's seat (the one that folds up as a backrest). and I'm only using 2 of the hot tubes now and have a couple more to install! so need to drill 2 more 4" holes
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I use 1/2" corded drill, so pretty stout. I also use commercial grade hole saws and arbor like De Walt or Lenox. Those cheap multi blade kits will dull by the end of the 1st hole, making more work on the drill and you.

^this on the hole saws.
    I did 2 6" holes for added speakers in the tige seatbases. I went a bought a 6" hole saw at home depot. was somewhat expensive(iirc around $25), but my dewalt 18v cordless drill did both holes in short order and both were very clean with no de-burring necessary.

sometimes right job=right tool....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Never had an issue, I used a hole saw like that and my cordless drilled 13 2inch holes threw 2/4s no issues.

I have not drilled 4inch hole in the boat, but I have drilled several holes one after the other.

Personally I use reverse for only getting through the gell, once I am through that I switch it to forward and it eats like slicing butter.

I am pretty sure I have that same kit you have from the HF.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I did three four in holes with my 18v Makita1/2 drill no swear, tapped and in reverse . Like butter.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Never had an issue, I used a hole saw like that and my cordless drilled 13 2inch holes threw 2/4s no issues.

I have not drilled 4inch hole in the boat, but I have drilled several holes one after the other.

Personally I use reverse for only getting through the gell, once I am through that I switch it to forward and it eats like slicing butter.

I am pretty sure I have that same kit you have from the HF.
    I never had problems with 2" holes. From what I can tell the difference between a 2" and a 4" is 4x the amount of force needed, as the energy to radius ratio is the square of the increase in radius. so doubling the size of the hole is going to require 4x the amount of energy to turn it at the same rate. And I have to imagine there's a likewise increase in friction from having the circumference of the surface area the saw is encountering change.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    I did three four in holes with my 18v Makita1/2 drill no swear, tapped and in reverse . Like butter.
    Maybe it's just my cheap a$$ tired hole saw then... Because I tried 2 different 18v cordless drills and a 1/2" corded hammer drill as well...
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

You should be able to see the condition of the teeth. Keep the drill speed at the highest speed and go slow.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD