Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Friday Night Lights

So down here in Texas high school football is kind of a big deal. And few towns have a more prestigious program than that of Katy Texas with 7 state titles and appearances in the state championship game for the last 3 consecutive years. The Katy Tigers have had a stellar season so far going 10-0 in the regular season outs coring their opponent 438-18 with 7 shut outs. Even in the play offs we managed two shut outs and one 59-20 victory and one 35-17 victory. Arguably the best defense in Texas 6A football.

Last weekend we took on the Friendswood Mustangs and in the 2nd half while we were up 59-0 the coach decided to play the entire scout team. We had over 100 players receive time on the field during that game. Well it turns out that one of the players on the scout team was a recent transfer from another district high school Seven Lakes. The kid was from a single parent home and they had just moved to the area and under UIL rules he had sat out the required 15 days to become eligible. Katy went on to win the game 66-0.

Later that week a parent a 7 lakes called Katy High School and told them the kid on the scout team was ineligible under UIL rules. As it turns out the UIL transfer rules for the playoffs are different than the regular season, an oversight by the Katy athletic director. Being of good integrity, Katy high school promptly self reported the violation to the UIL and as a result an emergency hearing was held in Austin last Thursday to discuss whether Katy would have to forfeit the game or not. It was decided that player posed no advantage since the game was already well in hand and it was an honest mistake due to the confusing nature of the UIL rule book. The 3 board members voted unanimously to let Katy continue.

It blows my mind the backlash Katy has been receiving over this. Being called cheaters and even having professional sports bloggers chime in about how we should be disqualified. I can totally understand if the player was an impact player but this was an honest over site that had no affect on the outcome of the game but people are coming at us worse than the Patriots and deflate gate. It's unreal how jealous other programs who don't put in the work are. Anyways we went on to beat Manvel 35-17 in the quarter finals for the 3rd straight year last Friday and this upcoming Saturday we head to San Antonio to take on Cibolo Steele in the semi finals. Hopefully when I get home I will be able to watch the Tigers in the state championship at NRG stadium in Houston!

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

I guess the thing that blows my mind is how just like in the movie that HS Football is such a big deal down there. It's certainly not the case up here in the PNW. Heck, in the 25 years since I've graduated HS, I've went to ONE homecoming football game--that's it.

But down there, it seems like a religion. I guess sometimes the stuff you see in the movies is true.

And as far as your explanation of the story above, sounds like things worked out just fine and all you gotta remember is that "Haters gonna hate"
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

The Allen Eagles have a similar history. 2012 and 13 5A champs, 2014 6A champs.

3 years and $60 million to build the new stadium, only for it to be completed and have another $10 million put into it for repairs due to structural flaws from construction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Over 100 kids on the team. Wow, that's like big ten squads
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    The Allen Eagles have a similar history. 2012 and 13 5A champs, 2014 6A champs.

3 years and $60 million to build the new stadium, only for it to be completed and have another $10 million put into it for repairs due to structural flaws from construction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Yeah Allen is awesome too. Glad we are division 2 and they are division 1! We are still using our stadium from like the 70s lol. Katy High School is a very blue collar middle class district but they did just approve to build a new district stadium last year for like 58 million. Currently all 7 high schools in Katy share the same stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Over 100 kids on the team. Wow, that's like big ten squads
    When we get to play off they bring the JV kids along so everyone gets in on the excitement and action.

Our History...
    State Champions: 1959, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2012

State Finalists: 1959, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014

Undefeated Regular Seasons: 1959, 1986, 1989, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

We have the 2nd best play off record in the state since 1980 at 66-15. W have forced 706 points and allowed just 55 so far this season. Just for fun here are the scores from all our games this year.

vs Kingwood W 46-0
    vs Fort Bend Travis W 57-0
    vs The Woodlands W 14-7
    vs Mayde Creek W 52-0
    vs Katy Taylor W 41-3
    vs Seven Lakes W 40-8
    vs Morton Ranch W 55-0
    vs Strake Jesuit W 56-0
    vs Tompkins W 84-0
    vs Cinco Ranch W 24-0
    Playoffs
    vs Westside W 77-0
    vs Cy Ranch W 59-20
    vs Friendswood W 66-0
    vs Manvel W 35-17

And on a side note, Andy Dalton (a former Katy Tiger) is having a pretty stellar year in Cincinnati!

David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

David - How in the world can a high school generate that kind of winning record? Do families move their just to give their sons the opportunity to be a part of the Katy football program? Every year kids graduate and the team loses talent. Seems almost like a college program. - Stuart
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    David - How in the world can a high school generate that kind of winning record? Do families move their just to give their sons the opportunity to be a part of the Katy football program? Every year kids graduate and the team loses talent. Seems almost like a college program. - Stuart
    I am sure some people who have talented kids have moved to the district in order to help further their childs athletic career although I do not know of any confirmed cases of this. I think a lot of stems from the coaching and expectation placed on the players. From what I have heard, the Junior Highs that feed Katy High School and even the little leagues that feed the Junior Highs all run the same offensive and defensive schemes as Katy High School so by the time the kids get to KHS they know the system and their assignments very well. They don't fall for trick plays on defense, they are extremely well disciplined and they put in a ton of work in the off season. The kids grow up knowing that state is the expectation every year.
    David

At what point does Katy move up a division?

Side note, 7 high schools in one school district? Whoaa!! And I got the vibe Katy was smallish. I'm probably just podunk AR

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Default Friday Night Lights

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    At what point does Katy move up a division?

Side note, 7 high schools in one school district? Whoaa!! And I got the vibe Katy was smallish. I'm probably just podunk AR

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    I don't believe that there is supposed to be a competition difference in the divisions. I'm not really sure how all that works though. I know they have two divisions just due to the shear number of schools in the state.

As for the size of Katy, all the rice fields are now neighborhoods, it started off small but as the land between towns kept getting developed into neighborhoods Katy kept annexing more of it. Where I live is considered Old Towne Katy or Katy Proper. It is still very much a small town feel. We don't consider all that their stuff really Katy lol.

Sent from my iPhone
    David

The movie was excellent and the show was even better. My favorite scene is when Tami Taylor is crying about how the school is broke and they can't even afford textbooks. The big booster guy Buddy Garrity says, "I've got two words for you . . . JUMBO TRON!!!"
    Ha ha. That was the best.
    Last edited by kaneboats; 12-08-2015 at 12:56 PM.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!