Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I changed the distributor cap, rotor, and plugs in my 2007 this year. When I got it all back together I had some serious backfiring/stuttering. It wound up being the spark plug wires. Consider changing those out and see where you're at. Once I replaced mine, everything ran great. I guess they don't like being removed and then reinstalled once they reach a certain age.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games Edition
    340HP CAT/ETX
    ACME 1235 / Fresh Air Exhaust
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform
    Slingshot Hooke, Doomswell Neo, Phase 5 Hammerhead, Parker Surfcraft Phantom

Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post
    I changed the distributor cap, rotor, and plugs in my 2007 this year. When I got it all back together I had some serious backfiring/stuttering. It wound up being the spark plug wires. Consider changing those out and see where you're at. Once I replaced mine, everything ran great. I guess they don't like being removed and then reinstalled once they reach a certain age.
    Yea they are finicky, they tend to dry out internally from heat. They crack really easy and then loss efficiency.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Strolling across old threads and saw this one started by me. Realized I hadn't fed back on resolution so to help out others who have this issues here goes

After getting boat running again (rotor), I was still experiencing the misfiring and stuttering at higher revs. Replaced distributor cap, no major changes. Turned out Poison and MMandley were right, the plug wires were completely fried. Some even had visible external wear on them from rubbing on engine components over the years. Replaced the wires and she is up an running again with no issues. Just remember to connect plugs in correct order.

But problem solved so thank you all for the help, invaluable this forum is in a country with no authorized dealers

Quote Originally Posted by MoombaSouthAfrica View Post
    Strolling across old threads and saw this one started by me. Realized I hadn't fed back on resolution so to help out others who have this issues here goes

After getting boat running again (rotor), I was still experiencing the misfiring and stuttering at higher revs. Replaced distributor cap, no major changes. Turned out Poison and MMandley were right, the plug wires were completely fried. Some even had visible external wear on them from rubbing on engine components over the years. Replaced the wires and she is up an running again with no issues. Just remember to connect plugs in correct order.

But problem solved so thank you all for the help, invaluable this forum is in a country with no authorized dealers
    Thanks for closing the loop on this. Always helpful for future reference to post the solution so that others can learn.

I remember my bout with those plug wires, thought I had screwed up my boat with my DIY (un)skills. Was so relieved it was just a simple change out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2007 XLV Gravity Games Edition
    340HP CAT/ETX
    ACME 1235 / Fresh Air Exhaust
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform
    Slingshot Hooke, Doomswell Neo, Phase 5 Hammerhead, Parker Surfcraft Phantom