Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Winterization - Under Cover Mold Prevention

For those that can't store the boat in a garage all winter, have there been any tips or tricks you've found to keep your boat from growing mold/mildew when stored outside over the winter? Last winter I bought one of the huge RV DampRid buckets thinking it would absorb the moisture but alas mold still managed to grow under the cover and tarp with the condensation that was created with the temperature swings. Nothing like getting the boat sparkling at the end of season to open the cover months later and the need to scrub it down again. The seats get removed so that's half the battle.

I can run power underneath the cover so I'm thinking of buying a small oscillating fan and throwing a 75w lamp sans shade to help with the air flow and keep it warmer under the cover to slow the temperature swings that force condensation on the glass. In essence, just trying to replicate the warm air circulators that are being sold. May or may not throw timers on those. Still going to use the DampRid. I think a big towel over the sunpad last winter prevented some buildup there.

Has anyone had any luck with a mold prevention spray, I haven't seen any labels yet so not sure how those chemicals would play with the vinyl. Any tips or tricks or products you've tried and learned over the years? Much appreciated!
    Jeff
    2007 LSV - FAE, G4 setup with Sumo 500 IBS, 1k rear lockers

This happened to me with my Stingray. Basically I had it wrapped to tight and it was not able to breathe. Mid winter I ended up moving it into the garage so I could take care of the mold problem. I use the damp rid buckets every year now, my LSV is in a garage though so I can leave the cover off, I like the idea of the fan and light, maybe setup on a timer so they are not running 24/7. It's all about proper air flow.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Interesting thread. Subscribed to hear what everyone has to say...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Interesting thread. Subscribed to hear what everyone has to say...
    especially based on where you live!
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    especially based on where you live!
    Yep, this is where I do my boating...

2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

friends in FL swear by these. Description states that it is designed for continuous operation.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...0v-ac--7867518

I have had some serious problems with this over the years. We have a lot of temperature variations in Northern Virginia. The first year I had it wrapped and got two different kinds of mold, the back deck turned pink. That was a waste of money.
    I stored it under the full Moomba transport cover and I have added three vents with a pole in the rear part. With a total of five vents it still wasn't enough. I add the Damp Rid buckets and they didn't fill for the first time last season as I keep trying different things.

This year in addition to all of that I added the West Marine air dryer. I wanted one for a couple of years but they aren't cheap for a fan with heater. It was on a one day sale about a month ago. Getting desperate for a solution I grabbed one. I put the boat away after being out and a good bit of water was in it from kids. I had to leave and threw this thing in the middle of the floor with seats up and cover on.
    I came back and to my surprise it was almost dry a week later, everywhere. No Damp Rid yet so it was all the fan and vents. There was no smell and nothing I could see on the vinyl. I am away for it for two weeks and can't wait to see what it is like. I am guessing it will be fully dry with no smell.

Can't swear by it yet but so far but I am expecting with all of this I should be good for the first time this winter fingers crossed.

As for the DIY version I would worry about it. I wouldn't want an exposed bulb and a non marine heater going in there. It could get too hot or worse. For $100 it is a good safe way to go also.

I will be keeping an eye on this threat for sure!
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    friends in FL swear by these. Description states that it is designed for continuous operation.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...0v-ac--7867518
    Interesting. I would imagine that in FL the "less than 100w" heater would be sufficient to keep condensation away with the warm winter temps that you get. I can't imagine that it'd be sufficient for the PNW when we're getting below freezing at night. And I would think that a fan with a 100w lightbulb would provide the same effect for a fraction of the cost.

Or a cheaper version of the above: http://www.wholesalemarine.com/davis...BAIaAqI08P8HAQ

I would think that if the goal is to reduce moisture, then a real dehumidifier would be the ticket...
    Last edited by trayson; 11-02-2015 at 03:11 PM.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I bought the nearly identical Caframo Limited Stor-Dry Warm Air Circulator off Amazon last month and had it in place for a few weeks but the fan and heater for that matter don't seem to be operating very well, could be a defective unit. I figured a 8-12" oscillating table fan and a light bulb/worklight could provide better performance for my money. I wouldn't do a heater or a de-humidifier simply as that would seem to be overkill.

5:00 if you should be around the boat at all I'd be curious how fast and warm the air is that your dryer pushes out. Not sure what my expectations are but mine seemed to be slower and cooler than I would have expected.
    Jeff
    2007 LSV - FAE, G4 setup with Sumo 500 IBS, 1k rear lockers

Jeff,

It doesn't push out much air or heat AT ALL. It pulls from bottom to top. You can see the blades go around but it is MUCH slower than a typical fan. The air that comes out is warm, not hot at all. I can't even hear the thing run at arm's length. Like the turtle slow and steady. I didn't think it would work seeing how weak it was but it seemed to work. Not sold on it yet as it is only one week in but I have high hopes on this one.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap