Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

YES! And some epoxy for strength!

PWI as usual...

Epoxy is marine duct tape.
    -Jake

Quote Originally Posted by gregski View Post
    That doesn't sound right. I can comfortably put my hand on the exhaust manifold. If never noticed anything in the water (behind the transom) that is hot.
    I would caution that statement. I have seen plenty of steam from my boat and others in the PNW when water and air are over 65 when surfing.

Yes is not as hot as normal exhaust because of water being added but I wouldn't stick my hand behind my exhaust under load.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    I would caution that statement. I have seen plenty of steam from my boat and others in the PNW when water and air are over 65 when surfing.

Yes is not as hot as normal exhaust because of water being added but I wouldn't stick my hand behind my exhaust under load.
    That's two different things. That is condensation, like seeing your breath in cold air - that won't burn you. Have you never touched your exhaust manifold? It's toasty warm but not burn-you-hot. If it or the FAE pipes are hotter than that, you have a problem such as failing impeller or pump or some obstruction in the water flow.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

That's two different things. That is condensation, like seeing your breath in cold air - that won't burn you. Have you never touched your exhaust manifold? It's toasty warm but not burn-you-hot. If it or the FAE pipes are hotter than that, you have a problem such as failing impeller or pump or some obstruction in the water flow.
    No I have not touched my exhaust manifolds, maybe I'll try your theory.

I am wondering why would FAE make the system out of Metal if they could have used a Plastic which would have been MUCH cheaper in overhead?

PVC begins to warp at 104c or 219F. Exhaust temps over 140 are more then hot enough to Burn you.

Those of you thinking you will try ABS might find it interesting that at 98c or 208F ABS begins to distort as well.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

In FL my manifolds get hot enough to burn you. I can guarantee you that.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    I only have pics without the platform on.

I added a bar across the platform supports that then helps hold this in place. I also added screws into the exhaust pipes coming out of the boat with washers to help give the straps something to grab onto.

Attachment 23181Attachment 23182Attachment 23183

Looks pretty good and exactly what I had pictured in my head. Glad to see such a great response to this.
    2013 LSV Red/White

1100lb upgrades in each rear locker!
    Stock 500 Bow ballast
    650IBS
    Manual Flow equipped

Boards
    Hyperlite Hi-Fi "The Illest"
    CWB AMG Carbon
    Phase 5 Razz
    Byerly Volt
    4.6 Ronix Koal Fish
    Phase Five Scamp (kiddos)

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    In FL my manifolds get hot enough to burn you. I can guarantee you that.
    As I thought about this, it occurred to me that the manifold temperature would be directly related to the lake temperature; i.e. if your lake is 10 degrees warmer than mine, then your manifold is likely 10 degrees warmer than mine. Our lake never got above 70 this year, yours could have easily been 20 degrees warmer.
    2007 Mobius LSV

As I thought about this, it occurred to me that the manifold temperature would be directly related to the lake temperature; i.e. if your lake is 10 degrees warmer than mine, then your manifold is likely 10 degrees warmer than mine. Our lake never got above 70 this year, yours could have easily been 20 degrees warmer.
    I would also think that on a boat equipped with a heater, that the manifolds would end up cooler too. Because the heater is essentially a "heat exchanger" or a radiator. so if the heater core from the heater is bleeding off heat from the engine, then by the time it gets to the manifolds it would be cooler than a boat not equipped with a heater... Seems logical anyway.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    I would also think that on a boat equipped with a heater, that the manifolds would end up cooler too. Because the heater is essentially a "heat exchanger" or a radiator. so if the heater core from the heater is bleeding off heat from the engine, then by the time it gets to the manifolds it would be cooler than a boat not equipped with a heater... Seems logical anyway.
    No, probably not. The heater taps off of the thermostat controlled water jacket. If the heater is on and taking some heat away from the motor, then the thermostat will just close off a bit of the incoming cold water. Basically that water temp is always 160 - or whatever your thermostat is. The exhaust side simply mixes the exhaust gas with a lot of cold raw water.
    2007 Mobius LSV